What's new

Any reason not to wire up my center channel like this? (1 Viewer)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
For no apparent reason I decided to see if my old minisystem speakers would sound better than my center speaker(a cheap Kenwood). Since they are 6 ohms I decided to use both of them in series to give a 12 ohm load to the receiver. It wasn't easy because the speakers have built in wire so I had to twist the speakers wires around the 16 gauge going to the reciever(wouldn't have had enough wire otherwise). Now they sit right next to my TV and they actually sound better. Other than the fact that the localization on the TV is not quite perfect they are better in every way. Dialogue and sound effects have improved. Is there any reason not to use this technique?

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Hey, if it works for you, more power to ya!

Are you saying that you have one on each side of the TV, and together they are your "center channel?"

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
I think I would be careful. Unless I'm mistaken, wiring speakers in series will take the impedence the other way. Two 6 ohm speakers wired in series will give your amplifier a 3 ohm load....don't turn it up unless you want to burn up your amplifier!

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Unless you're talking two speakers with differing impedances, then you gotta bust out the formula....

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Are your Mini systems speakers sheilded??? I doubt that they are. They will ruin the color in you TV quickly.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
The speakers are not shielded. They will distort the color if they are on the TV or almost touching it. There is about 4 inches on either side of the TV between the speakers though and it doesn't seem to affect it. Should I be worried about damage to the set if I don't see any problems on screen?

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Also could my setup now be called 6.0(no sub yet) or is it still 5.0 since there are only five true channels being played?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Also could my setup now be called 6.0(no sub yet) or is it still 5.0 since there are only five true channels being played?
No, that is in reference as to how many dedicated channels there are in a recording. You can listen to Dolby Digital 1.0 (Mono) on your setup. Even though you have 5 (or 6) speakers, it is still mono sound.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
go to the hardware store and buy a couple of sheets of sheet metal (S/B under $10) and put them between the TV and the speakers.
It will not fully shield the TV but it will considerably weaken the field.
Turn the TV on and turn it on a video input; if you have a vcr turn it on so you get a blue screen.
Is the picture discolored at all?
Then you are affecting the CRT and they are too close.

Hope that helps a bit

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
BTW Generally high power amplifers need to be approx. 10 ft away from a TV to reduce radiation from the TV. I found by using sheet metal, between the TV and my amplifiers; I reduced the Hum down to nothing.
Turn on your audio system without the TV on and nothing playing.
Then turn on the TV with the volume muted. If you notice and increase in hum; the CRT is affecting the audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks