What's new

Any positive reviews on DVD carousel players ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I was going through audioreview.com and I have yet to find a above average review on DVD changers. Can anyone suggest one here ?

BurkeP

Grip
Anthony,
I don't know how sophisticated a player you're looking for, but my Pioneer DVC-503 has been really good to me over the last 6 months. I wanted a changer that would accommodate CD-R's. This player has never had a problem on CD's or DVD's. It does lack great FF or REW controls, and the on-screen icons are truly comical, but as far as playing movies or music through my Yamaha receiver, I think it's great for the money. With the new Panasonics that play DVD-A and mp3's, some of which are progressive scan, you should have a couple of choices in the low price range.
Good luck.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
The Sony one was reviewed by either Stereophile or Perfect Vision a while back and came out very positively. Picture quality was said to be as good as stand alone units.
Steve

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
If you are interested in a high capacity model, take a look at the Pioneer Elite DV-F07 300+1 carousel model. Excellent sound and picture, and an easy-to-use disc handling (titling, cataloging and retrieval) system that SONY only can only wish it had. It, too, has been very favorably reviewed, and I can vouch for its stellar performance in over a year's use.
Its 24/96 DACs have been cited in the reviews as far exceeding the reviewer' expectations for a unit at its price, rivalling those of top end stand alone single CD players. It sounds great, with detail, resolution, soundstage, etcetera that will serve your music collection well. And of course, it does a superlative job on DVDs, too. I am always pleased with the picture I get from it on my 10 foot diagonal 16:9 projection system, and can't complain about the image it renders on my 32" Sony XBR set, either.
Burke
[Edited last by Burke Strickland on July 10, 2001 at 05:18 PM]

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I've had a Panasonic C220 5-disc carousel for two years now and it's given me no problems. It's got all the goodies (component out, DTS) and has worked flawlessly. That's better than I can say for my first player (Toshiba 3006 - menu screens flickered on the bottom third) or my second (Sony 3000 - LOTS of audio dropouts).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I bought a Sony DVP-C670D carousel DVD/CD changer last August and have been extremely pleased with it. Picture quality is great as is the remote, and it sports loads of features. Also, my girlfriend has a Pioneer DV-C503, which is a very good player for the money. She isn't big into home theater or music, so she wanted one component to do everything. I recommended the 'C503 to her since it plays CD-Rs (my Sony does not). For $220, the 'C503 is a very good player. Build quality is above average, and the picture is great. It doesn't offer as many features as my Sony, and I feel the Sony has a better remote, but the Pioneer is a good value.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I will also place in a vote for the Panasonic C220,
As with most of the pannys, this will pass the 24/96
signal for those CD's that can support it.
This is a user menu setup option.
Keep in mind that this drive is not a progressive player.
Non the less it's been very good.
------------------

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I have an Onkyo DV-600 6 disc changer and the player smokes. The only 2 things it is missing is Progressive scan and CD-R playback. The sound, picture, and features are all nice on this player.
-Dean-

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm actually looking for a player that is excellent with video and music. I have a 32inch sony wega and I was curios if a progresive scan player would make a diference in video quality. I have a budget of $300.

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
the Onkyo 300 disc changer catologs 300 CDs/DVDs and has duel lasers so it reads CDRs as well. Ive been looking into it lately, seems nice form the reviews and opinions ive read
------------------

Charbel

Agent
When I was shopping around for a 300 disk player I was almost out the door with a Onkyo DVM 301 but I think they were discontinued so I left with a pioneer Elite DVF07. It`s great. but I have nothing to compare it to. (it`s my first one) You definately will not be disappointed. if you go with the pioneer IMO. Good Luck

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
One more recommendation for the Onkyo. I own a DVC-601, and have been very impressed with its sound quality on both video and music. It is light years ahead of the two single-disc Panasonics that I owned before it. However, there is one major design oversight worth noting. The Onkyo lacks the ability to randomly play tracks from across all discs. If you can live without this feature, I would highly recommend the Onkyo DVC-601.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks