What's new

Any news on the Infinity Beta's (1 Viewer)

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering....
Has anyone heard anything on the Beta's
...pics,specs,rumors...whatever.
I think they were making a appearance this month @ the CES.

Prices are dropping on the Alpha's and I'm tempted...
But I want to see some kind of review or something on these new speakers.

Any Info is appreciated
...Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't think the Alphas or the Kappas were all that impressive compared to previous models. Maybe the new ones will sound better.

terence

Supporting Actor

Hi John,

How would you discribe the sound of both lines? Feel free to go into great detail. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I compared only the bookshelf speakers, since that was what I normally look at. I really liked the IL10 bookshelf, and thought the Alpha10 would sound as good, but I found it to be a little less full sounding, and a little thin in the upper midrange. Both auditioned with Onkyo receivers.

The Kappa bookshelf had a wonderful tweeter that is well crossed over, and I've always liked the highs of the higher Infinity speakers (have Kappas in my car), but the midrange sounded muddy or muffled - it seemed to be struggling to go lower than it was capable of. That may not be the case with the floorstanders, but I was not impressed with this particular model (I forget which, but I believe there's only one bookshelf). I auditioned the Kappas with a very nice Pioneer Elite hires player with my own SACD and a B&K ref50 in a soundroom at a higher end store, and I adjusted the speakers a few times to suit the room because I thought the placement might have been affecting them, but they retained that character. I listened to the NHT M6 and M5 in the same store with lesser equipment and was much more impressed, though they are on the bright side.

jad

Agent
I have been listening to the Beta 20's for a week now and they are very full and sweet sounding. They sound much better than the IL20 & Alpha 20.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I saw a pair of Beta 50s at Circuit City this past week. The grilles were solid plastic with thousands of holes drilled through them.

I guess I wasn't a fan of the grilles and didn't pay too much attention to the speakers because they were a bit out of my price league. Plus, CC didn't have the other Beta speakers (e.g. center channel) so it seemed kind of like a moot point to listen to the speakers, get partially excited about the sound and then get disappointed when you realized they don't have all the models on the floor yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks