What's new

Any new dvds from "Ziyi Zhang" coming? (1 Viewer)

Are ther any new Ziyi Zhang DVDs out. I already have:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Rush Hour 2 and The Road Home...does she have any new region 1 dvds coming in the near future?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I could have swore her name was Zhang Ziyi ;) IMDB seems to have a problem with foreign names and tends to put the last name first when they list actors or directors (they also list Zhang Yimou as Yimou Zhang). Or maybe the way IMDB has it is correct(ed)?? I just go by the DVD cases and those say Zhang Ziyi. Otherwise, the only film I had heard she was involved in was Zu Warriors but that got buried or forgotten somewhere along the line.
Bruce

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
In China, I believe, it is the opposite (Surname, First Name).
as Paul said, correct. in this case, her surname is Zhang, her given name is Ziyi.
here's a tip: Chinese surnames are almost always a single syllable (more accurately, a single character). there are two or three exceptions, none of which is common nor borne by a celebrity that I can think of today.
so when you see something like "Zhang Ziyi" or "Chow Yun-fat", you can be fairly sure that "Zhang" and "Chow" are the surnames, which in these examples they are, and that the names are shown in traditional Chinese order.
given names are usually two characters, rarely just one, and never more than two. hence, the confusing one is Ang Lee. his given name is also a single syllable, so from "Ang Lee" you can't tell which is which. in his case, Lee is his surname, and his name is nowadays typically shown in Western fashion.
of course, this doesn't apply if the person has taken on, or was given, a Western name. so the names "John Woo" and "Jackie Chan" speak for themselves.
BTW, if anyone's wondering (which I doubt :D ), "Yee Ming" is my given name, my surname's "Lim", but I didn't use it when registering.

That is ironic that you mentioned that...when I originally typed her name I started with Zhang Ziyi , then questioned it and went to IMDB, which had it the way I stated in my topic....should have went straight to the dvd cases.....thanks for the correction. I noticed EBAY stated some DVDs from overseas that I had not seen, even a box set for Zhang Ziyi. I would be curious to know if any of those films will make it to dvd in the United States.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Since CROUCHING TIGER appeared, Zhang Ziyi has starred in a big-budget historical epic from Korea called MUSA, full of action and very well reviewed (it played to packed houses, and reportedly appreciative audiences at the Melbourne International Film Festival last month). I haven't seen it, but (hope the moderators are cool with this) here's a link to the Korean DVD (which has English subs) which is available from one Stateside etailer. I gather the movie is quite violent (with a lot of epic battle scenes) and has a substantial romantic subplot concerning Zhang Ziyi's character and a Korean soldier, but I haven't picked up the disc myself yet to check it out in any detail.
http://www.pokerindustries.com/acatalog/musadvd.htm

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
She is one ffffiiiiiinnnnnne looking actress. I may not know much but that I know. I love her choreography as well.

ashley c

Stunt Coordinator
the only film I had heard she was involved in was Zu Warriors but that got buried or forgotten somewhere along the line.
This film is still available in Asia, and can be picked up pretty much anywhere here. Its called The Legend of Zu.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
You may want to note that the import of ZU WARRIORS is the complete version.

The upcoming Buena Vista/Dimension/Disney release is incomplete. It's heavily cut and the soundtrack has been totally replaced. It is also English dubbed. They have also changed the story with the dubbing and cutting severely.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.