What's new

Any meets in So Cal going on? (1 Viewer)

Ning Wong

Stunt Coordinator
I was just curious if any meets in the So Cal area were happenin' soon.
I would offer my place, but I only have a computer based home theater and a measly 24" sony wega. :frowning:

A

Anthony_Gomez

I might be able to host a SMALL meet in a month or so...but no promises. My apartment HT isn't ver big and at the moment I don't have seating setup for more than 2 (have a single loveseat, but I can easily bring in more seating)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Allen, you and John have first dibs :)
I really want to get my seperates first so I can switch to true stereo subs (outlaw 950/7100..already have the ICBM) and XO at 100hz. I have another way to run true stereo, but that reqires all 5 speakers to naturally roll off and the XO the sub at 80hz (the speakers are naturally down 6db at 80hz). Blending wize, this is great, except that I loose power handling. I guess if we aren't playing it too loud, I will be good to go. For music, no problem...but I'd hate for the low thuds in movies to kill my little 5W4252's.
Money is tight, so I don't expect to get the seperates till ATLEAST after christmas....so...loud or not :)
..actually, there is a 3rd way, but it requires me to control the subs volume manually when ever I change the speakers volume. I guess this isn't to bad if I just set of 3 or 4 reference volume positions (dimpled pots and -Xdb on reciever)
...hmm...maybe I will get ETF 5.0 for my birthday and do it that way :D

A

Anthony_Gomez

oh...and you will have to deal with a 27 JVC I'Art flatscreen. ..sorry, no big/16:9/HD TV over here....yet...unless you want to donate to my fund :)
I'd have to get a projector or a plasma...the 27" was hard enough to get up to the 2nd floor! Tight fit around the corner too!!

Ning Wong

Stunt Coordinator
David
That would be awesome. I went to the latest so cal one, and while I was a pretty quiet guy (i was the younger, big chinese dude), everyone was really cool.
Plus i won XFILES season 3 on dvd at fox, so i was reallllly happy. :)

Mike Ford

Grip
I am interested in some kind of SoCal event, just as a visitor please, but I do like to see and talk to other addicts.

Any stores people like to check out, or that might like to have half a dozen or more HT people at once? Atlantic Stereo in Newport Beach did a few evening things for a local audiophile group, but I haven't been there in years.

Also Hsu Research used to be happy to have visitors, but again I haven't talked with Dr. Hsu recently (located near the Fry's off 91 between 55 and 57 fwys).

I will be visiting WCES this year too if people want to try and arrange anything.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Mike, if there are any meets at a front like you mentioned, count me in!

I am not sure when I will be able to have any sizable gathering at my place, so that will have to be put on hold.

John and Allen (and Brian...if you still lurk here) , although I won't have any gathering at my place, you two (three) are more than welcome to come on by for a "personal" audition/movie/music day/night. Just let me know!

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I still lurk here.....if Dave does organize something around next summer (after May 15) I should have some cool HDTV footage you won't see anywhere else. Might be enticing enough for me to host a part day or full day of movie watching.

Mike Ford

Grip
If something local to SoCal is going to happen before CES in Jan, about the best date seems to me sometime about a week after Thanksgiving. Not really enough time to arrange much before T day, and once Xmas gets closer than a couple weeks nobody will have time until after CES. Another thread has meeting during CES covered, and I am not even ready to think about post CES yet.

So, what do you all say, should we try to get something going the week after Thanksgiving? LOTR E and Khan directors cut should be out. Maybe we could meet in the Bose room at frys?

A

Anthony_Gomez

Mike, as I said, I'd love tohost something decent sized, but my current accomidations do not allow it. Perhaps someone else here is game for such?
Which bose room? Fry's off La Palma or Euclid? They are both my favorite places in the whole world, so it is hard to guess which one:D

Mike Ford

Grip
Its funny, I haven't ever been in either one, but did have a "presentation" once at the Ontario Mills Bose store.

I am pretty sure as long as we "act nice" Fry's would be happy to give members of the Home Theater Forum a Bose demo. Might be kind of fun if the poor Fry's demo guy doesn't realize his whole audience is already "Bose aware". Maybe somebody could make a couple PDA fake "distortion analyzer" screen images and pretend to "measure" the Bose distortion level. Then let the highjinks begin...

Seriously, doesn't sound like there are more than half a dozen of us at most, so best chances are for something REALLY informal like the Bose room, or some other store where we could just show up, look around, exchange bovine stuff, then mosey off. Which is best for yall, Week day evening, or something on Weekend, afternoon or eve?

My vote goes for about 6:30 on a Tue/Wed/Th. Really anyplace with anything interesting to see or listen to is fine with me. Anybody know of some stores that might be accommodating?

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all:
I live in a condo in North Torrance not too far from the 405 freeway. I have a home theater in the living room (50in HD Mits/RX-V3200 Yami) and a home theater in the bedroom (43in HD Sony/RX-V2092 Yami). I would be interested in hosting a medium size HT meet some time in the spring or summer of next year. In the meantime, if anyone who lives in the South Bay is interested, they can e-mail me about getting together over the Christmas holidays to discuss HT.
Regards,
TCIII

A

Anthony_Gomez

I may be interested...well..I am , but it all depends on the shedule on my lab (which has no schedule, but when it gets made, it takes priority ;) )

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Count me in.

If there's no place to meet at somebody's house I have another idea. I've gone to a meet where people rented a hotel lobby room and setup non-permanent acoustic treatments on the walls.

Then you can have 20+ ppl with fold out chairs all demo at the same time and have a variety of different kinds of speakers in the same room for "ABA" comparisons.

I can provide some full sized acoustic treatments such as 4 feet high 16" diameter bass traps, and 4" thick 2'x4' acoustic panels.

I wonder how much it would cost to rent a lobby for a day if everyone pitched in. Anyways, just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks