What's new

Any major/noticeable differences for receiver from $500 and up? (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
Any major/noticeable differences for receiver from $500 and up? Is it really worth the investment to get a $1200 receiver? I been listening to several receiver ranging from $500 retail to $6000 retail and I don't really hear too much of difference is the quality of the music except more features on controls, safety, gold plating everything, gold circuitry, and more power to each channels. Please advise, thank you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you get to the $1K and up range, the receivers are generally noticably better, IMO. The main things I'd say would be better DACs, build quality and a much better amp section. At around the $3K+ range, I'd start looking at separates though. Going from a $600 receiver to one more than twice that price made a big difference to me. If you can't hear the difference, then it isn't going to get you much.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I'm amazed by how much you get in the ~$500 price point these days. Manufacturers are packing features in the lower ranges, including even EQ and 7 amp channels.

Certainly, it's partly because DSP is getting cheaper and cheaper, but I think it's still coming at a cost and IMO, in the ~$1000 range is where those compromises are lessened to a certain degree.

DJ

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
No disrespect but you sort of answered your own question didn't you:

...I been listening to several receiver ranging from $500 retail to $6000 retail and I don't really hear too much of difference is the quality of the music...

Typo's aside, if you can't hear a difference then there isn't one...to you.

Christian M

Agent
Well put albert - nice.

Personally, I can hear the difference between receivers in different price brackets. Kinda sucks cause upgraditis just kills your bank account. More power to you if it doesn't make an audible difference :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well asside from sound quality. There is build quality and better power supplies.

So even if you can't hear the difference, just pick the two up and feel how different they weigh. :)

The sound differences become much more obvious at reference type volume levels. Money should buy headroom.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Even onkyo's small budget receiver-- the SR503-- supports 7.1 channels. I think we'll discover by summer's end that once pricy features (three component inputs, room correction...) will be quite commonplace. IEEE1394 support is still rare, though. Perhaps it will be supplanted by HDMI.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Features generally are not the most significant factor in the cost of a receiver. If you want a good amp section, you're going to have to spend a little more to get it, or get a lower level receiver with pre-outs and an external amp.

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
I guess if I were listen to the same speaker set and just switching between Receivers I will be able to tell the differences. But since I'm going from Showroom to showroom, I finds Speakers makes lot more differences then Receiver in that price range.

***I certainly can hear the difference from my old beat up Pioneer 5.1 receiver from my Yamaha RX-V650 when I switch the units yesterday. The diffference are so amazing that I almost toss the Pioneer away as its has poison my system for sometime. But then I decide to keep the pioneer for Kareoke.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The question you should be asking is when is the difference small enough that you don't care anymore about it.

Here's my experience. I upgraded my front end many times between 1994 when I got my first DPL receiver (still flawlessly working in my bedroom) to today. High end DD-ready receiver with external decoder -- Higher end "flagship" DD-ready receiver with same external decoder -- 5.1 DD/dts separates -- upgraded 7.1 pre/pro -- extra amp and speakers for 7.1 ... A long steady expensive progression.

A few Monster and lots of AudioQuest cables along the way.

Today the keystone for my system is a 1997 DD only $599MSRP receiver that I bought refurbished for $130. With mostly pack-in cables and Radio Shack Golds. Know what? I don't miss all that high end stuff one bit. I don't miss DTS, I don't miss SACD and DVD-A, I could use it, but I don't absolutely need more switching.

My system is simpler and I'm happier. Speakers are old 1997 B&W 602s and I will never upgrade them.

There's better things than this to spend your time and money on. There are differences in higher priced gear, but only you can decide where the differences no longer matter to you. Hopefully you won't spend a lot of money finding out.

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is a good point....

I still find no inheirent reason to replace my Denon 4802, so even with the $1700 I paid for it, I may have saved money by not upgrading in the years I have had it as I had went through a couple of DD 5.1 AVR's in the year preceeding the change to the 4802.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't have any desire to upgrade my receiver either. Picked it up a few years ago, probably won't upgrade anytime soon. At some point, most will be satisfied, and as Philip said - you have to decide where that point is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks