What's new

Any Good Repertory/Arthouse Theatres in NYC? (1 Viewer)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm going to New York in less than two weeks and one of the many things I plan to do is check out some repertory/arthouse movie theatres. I've done a bit of research online, but I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations as to what are the truly memorable theatres to check out?

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
When in NY, check out The Walter Reader Theater in Lincoln Center, the Museum of Modern Art cinemas, Loew's Jersey Theatre (Jersey City), and the Paris Theater.

These are, in my opinion, the theaters in NY worth frequenting.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Thanks for the recommendations!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I was looking for both, so your suggestions are very welcome as well! I've already read a lot of nasty things about the Angelika online, but it's still very interesting. Here in Vancouver we have arthouse cinemas, but they don't have access to the current indie cinema available in a place like New York. And older prints of movies are next to impossible to find in Western Canada. I'm looking to check out Jim Jarmusch's latest, The Limits of Control, which I believe will be playing at the Angelika!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
At least initially, it will be an Angelika exclusive, which is why the place remains a "necessary evil". I don't hate the place like some, but it bugs me that they now charge the same $12.50 ticket price as the first-run multiplexes. I can accept that from the IFC Center or the Landmark Sunshine, because those are recent construction with large screens. (The Lincoln Plaza, which has comparably sized theaters and screens, has an $11 ticket price.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks