What's new

Any Economics majors? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I am 22 years old and graduating from the Univ of Florida this December with a BS in finance. Problem is, a couple months ago I decided that I needed a little shift in plans.

After graduation I'll be looking for a school to attend in the area of economics. I know I could stay here at UF and get a BS in Eco, but im ready to get outta this town and maybe to a smaller college with a little more 1 on 1 attention. But i really don't know where to begin to look

I would love to teach Economics someday, and am looking for a school that doesn't just teach you how to run a business and make the most money. I want a broad world view of economics, not just the capitalism only point of view.

I love Florida (too cold for me most other places), but I'm not afriad to move for a good school.

So any Eco majors have any advice for a good ecnomics schools? Im not looking for anything too expensive, and I have around a 3.0 GPA...just looking to learn in the best environment possible.

Thanks in advance.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I would love to teach Economics someday, and am looking for a school that doesn't just teach you how to run a business and make the most money. I want a broad world view of economics, not just the capitalism only point of view.
It seems like a lot of school teach the "not just capitalism only point of view." Have you given California a thought?

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
It seems like a lot of school teach the "not just capitalism only point of view." Have you given California a thought?
Well, to tell you the truth, I really havent considered too many places at all. The thing is, I took quite a few eco classes here at UF, and they all left a bad taste in my mouth. Each class had about 500-2400 students in them, and a lot were just on cable television. I am really just looking for a more 1 on 1 approach. ANd not just classes that are gonna teach me the baiscs of supply and demand over and over again at the beginning of each semester or course.

And I dont really know of any schools in this area (or not) that have a good economics reputation.

Like I said, Im fairly new to the subject and am just looking for a littel guidance as to some good schools out there.

thank you

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Anthony, I live in G'ville much like you and attend Santa Fe Community College. If you weren't as ready to leave this area ( I agree with you there, I want out myself) I would recommend SFCC to you myself, they have the one on one attention you are looking for and seem to be a pretty decent, accomadating school from what I've seen. You may want to begin looking further south, possibly in Orlando. If you really care about the cold weather I would recommend a college in south Florida, possibly Lauderdale or Miami.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
2400 students in a class?! Damn! The largest I have had was Theatre Survey and that was about 350 students :)

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Sometimes as I read a post I forget how young a lot of members are. Anthony makes a valid point about being open to broading his experience.

I got a BA in economics, but most of what I know comes from reading since college.

You seem bored with the staple of S&D curves. As you should. Many interesting and controversial theories await your investigation. Why not pick up a number of works and do some browing? Trying to devour dozens of books may be to ambitious, and too boring right now. Maybe some reviews of different economic theories to get you started.

You can get some reviews on Adam Smith, and Karl Marx; John Maynard Keyns, and Milton Friedman; and dozens inbetween.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Can't be that large. Until this year Cornell University had the largest lecture class in the nation (I think even the world) - Psych 101 with about 1,600 students. The auditorium that is used to teach the class is being renovated this year, so the class size had to be cut in half.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
it is that large...they never gather at one place at one time though

most students watch class on thier computers, then take the tests on different areas of campus depending on your last name.

James T

Screenwriter
ya, that is differnt. Most schools start off with large people enrolled, but only have a couple hundred in each lecture class.

I like what my prof said, my first year...
Look at the person to the left of you. Look to the person to the right of you. There are 300 people enrolled in this course, by the time it's graduation, only about 20 of you will make it. Chances are, it's not the person sitting next to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks