What's new

Any DVD Players with Faroudja chip for at/under $225? (1 Viewer)

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little warry of getting a new progressive scan dvd player now that the JVC has some odd problems...

I'd like to know if there are any dvd players with the Faroudja chip, or at least don't have the Chroma Bug that cost $225 or less.

I did a bunch of searching tonight, and hte RP82 looks solid... but does it have the F-Chip? And are there any players that cost less.

Thanks.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you don't need DVD-A, the Denon 900 can be found for under $200 on closeout at HiFiBuys if you talk w/ them a little. You may also want to look at the Panasonic RP62 (single disc, no DVD-A) and CP72 (5-disc changer w/ DVD-A). The CP72 is a 5-disc version of the RP82 and both have the DCDi chipset, as well as the RP62.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Pardon my ignorance but what is the Faroudja chip and why is it important/better to have a dvd player that has that? What units/brands utilize this chip?:)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
The Kenwood DV-6050 is a great player. it has the Faroudja chip and is a 5 disc DVD-A player. I bought mine at Fry's for $250

Eric*B

Agent
Neither of those Panasonic players seem to be available any more. Were they replaced with a comparable DCDi player?

chris_clem

Second Unit
Greg,

Thanks for the link! It's extremely informative! Naturally, I'm now even more interested in seeing this this technology in action.

I'm shopping around for a new dvd player at around the $1000 price point. Someone mentioned Denon products and the 2900 is one of the players I'm looking into. Does that have this chip? What other brands favor this chip?

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the 2900 will have the Silicon Image Si504 chipset. It has comparable overall performance to Faroudja.

JoshR

Agent
If you can find one, the Philips DVD Q50 is a nice player with the Faroudja. It retailed for $400 when it came out, but wasn't very popular and I got mine for about $250. That was in march; it can probably found for less than that now.

The only problem is that it won't play DVD+R/RW, which irks me enough that I'm going to replace this player with one that does. Otherwise, it's a fine player and looks pretty fancy to boot. :)

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Tweeter stores carry the new model Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $249 that has the new Faroudja DCDi chipset, it appears virtually identical to the Denon DVD-1200 which costs $399. I've verified the DD-8040 has no chroma bug and it plays DVD+R,+RW, VCD on cDR/RW but not SVCD.

Elmo

Grip
if your tv is not progressive scan ready will you still benifit from picture quality with these dvd players?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You won't benefit from progressive scan itself per/se but the progressive scan players tend to be higher quality and more features in other ways compared to the interlace-only players will are now the lowest end models only. Look for a model without the chroma bug because some mask it on the progressive output but not on the interlaced output, if you are going to use the latter!

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
If you can find one, the Philips DVD Q50 is a nice player with the Faroudja. It retailed for $400 when it came out, but wasn't very popular and I got mine for about $250. That was in march; it can probably found for less than that now.
My q50 plays DvD+R's no problem.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Elmo, I have yet to see an HDTV that does not support 480p as a format for it's HDTV component video input.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Samsung 931 has a Faroujda scaler but its only active for HD-upconversion on the DVI port, on the component video output the Faroudja is not used. On a real progressive player with a Faroujda de-interlacer is better since its used for the component video output. The cheapest new model Faroudja-based DVD player is the Mitsubishi DD-8040 available for under $250 at Tweeter stores, or the Denon DVD-910 for $299. You may be able to find a used Panasonic XP30 (Faroujda-based) player on EBAY for near $200.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Tweeter stores carry the new model Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $249 that has the new Faroudja DCDi chipset, it appears virtually identical to the Denon DVD-1200 which costs $399. I've verified the DD-8040 has no chroma bug and it plays DVD+R,+RW, VCD on cDR/RW but not SVCD.
Woot! I'm going down to Cali in a couple of weeks, going to pick me up one of these :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks