What's new

Any DVD Players W/OUT Dual Layer Glitches??? (1 Viewer)

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
Under $3000 budget:

I'm looking for a very good to great DVD player that doesn't have the 1-2 second dual layer freezing that most players have these days.

Any recommendations?..........

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think the 2900 aced the Secrets layer change test...but will defer to Denon-philes to comment.

Take a look at the Secrets shoot out, there aren't many players that get it perfect.

My Denon 1600 is one of the top players in their tests, but the layer change is poor. Fortunately, most discs seem to be authored in such a way as to never see the change, but some discs (Monsters Inc for example) are a real fork in the eye.

BGL

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Denon 2200 and 2900, both with an 8mb buffer, have basically no visible layer changes. Not sure about the 5900.

MOST players do not have a major problem with this, though on most it is visible. I've only heard of a few models that actually pause for overly long periods and/or actually freeze - mostly older, less expensive Pioneers and Toshibas, and it seemed to be certain discs that caused the issues in general.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I have also owned a 1600 and "graduated" to a 2200 after my 1600 died. The 1600 was an extraordinary player for the price however the layer changes were painful enough to justify the upgrade. However, since I had to get a new player the 2200 was well received especially after the noticeable difference in the layer changes which now are seamless, very nice.

If you are using this player for video significantly more than than DVD-A/SACD, I do not think you need to spend much more than the 2200 for great quality and overall multi format compatibility.

The 2900 is definitely the most rock solid player under $1000.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
The dual layer delay is not a glitch. It is actually built into the DVD spec. In fact, a player that doesn't have a delay has a glitch according to the specs. Of course, this is one glitch no one minds.

Personally, coming from laserdiscs with 10 to 20 second side changes, I'm a relic and not bothered by the DVD delay. In fact, it's one of the last things I look at when considering buying a DVD player. The only player I've had that I don't remember having a delay was the Apex 600A, which was also by far the worst DVD player I've ever owned.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
According to what specs? The delay comes from the player having to adjust to the second layer and/or find the spot to continue from. The players with a buffer are simply able to play seemlessly because they rely on the buffer while switching layers. I noted also that the 2200 and 2900 have very fast laser mechanisms, and they are able to skip quickly to just about any point on a disc. I have not tried a 5900 out yet, but I'd wager it is similar or better (guessing better).

My old A300U was very good with layer changes. My Sony 560 was average.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks