What's new

Any Denon owners driving 4 ohm speakers? (1 Viewer)

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
I have Denon 2802. Is anyone using them to drive 4ohm speakers? I'm planning to get Dahlquist QX10(sensitivity 94dB). Denon specs do not mention about 4ohm load.

JonStern

Agent
If you look at Denon's FAQ they say 4 ohms is OK. I have a 3803 driving 7 Polk LSi speakers at 4 ohms each with sensitivity only in the high 80s and have had no problems at reasonably loud levels in a medium-sized room. Of course, the threshold for problems with 4 ohms is lower than with higher impedance speakers, so you should go slow until you determine how loud you can play stuff and for how long before the receiver starts warming up.

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
Jon, thanks for pointing me to the denon faq. But have you observed any congestion or straining on bass, especially when you are not using a sub and playing all the range through the front channels? I am planning on buying Dahlquist QX10 speakers. I don't want to use a sub.

JonStern

Agent
I have not noticed any problems related to using the 4-ohm speakers but then I've been cautious so far. I don't listen at very loud volumes and I don't listen to material that has continuous low bass output. However, I had no trouble with the Star Wars Episodes I and II DVDs playing at room-filling volume. I drive my front mains (LSi15s) full range. I am becoming more and more confident about pushing the Denon. Remember I'm talking about the 3803, though, so I don't know what you'll experience with the 2802 (although from what you say the Dahlquists seem to be a LOT more sensitive).

Yogi

Screenwriter
As long as you can keep the receiver cool enough you shouldn't have problems at reasonable volumes. Running them full range might be a source of problem in case things start heating up and shutting down. If you can use a sub and run your mains as 'small' half your problems will be gone. Otherwise you can try running it this way for starters and somewhere down the line when you have saved a few 100 $$$ you might be able to get a used 2 channel amp (>100W/ch) for less than $300 and then all your problems will be gone.

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys, i think i'll give dahlquist a try! i'll share my experience about this very soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks