What's new

Any clue how to connect a digital satellite receiver to a PC? (1 Viewer)

I would like to connect a digital satellite receiver to my computer, but I'm not sure what to use.

I could pick up a mpeg-2 encoder card, but that seems stupid since the receiver is already doing that. All I want to do is pass the video/audio from the receiver to the pc, and then watch t.v. on my pc.

This is easy enough with cable (e.g. ATI All in Wonder). Is what I'm asking even possible?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, you can just very basic (average quality video) connections. What inputs does your AIW have? I assume that it'll have the RF (Cable) input. Your reciever SHOULD have that output. Just hook it up to your TV card, bootup the program to watch TV, then you're all set.

Gary King

Second Unit
None of the current TV solutions for PCs have support for set-top boxes, as far as I know.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
I Have my dish network reciever connected to my TiVo and then the connect to a small 13" TV via coax and then to the PC via s-video and rca for audio.
I am using a AverTV Stereo card.

It works extremely well. I like having the 13" TV right there so I can watch TV even if I am working soemthing and I don't want the TV window open on the PC.

The TiVo is be used instead of the PVR functions of the card because I upgraded my living room wish a Dish PVR and hey extra PVR.

Rae H

Auditioning
I use the tuner in an old vcr. RF out from reciever to vcr. RF out from vcr to pc tv card, modulated ch 3 or 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks