What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any chance of James Ivory's 'Maurice' (1987) on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Alex Cordoba

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
A few of the most memorable Merchant-Ivory films have found their way on Blu-ray but one of the jewels of the E.M. Forster trilogy is still unavailable. Widely available on DVD worldwide (although the nice Criterion DVD is now OOP after some rights issues), no Blu-ray has been announced anywhere. And, to my knowledge, an HD version is not even found on iTunes or VOD...Are there any sources that could verify what are the chances of a BD of it in the foreseeable future and who holds rights for it now.Any comments are most welcome...Alex

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's a beautiful, engrossing film that captures the period to perfection. One would certainly wish it to come to Blu-ray quickly, but I've read absolutely nothing about any imminent release.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I picked up the Criterion DVD before it went out of print. I would gladly double dip for the blu-ray.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Obviously no hope from Criterion, but Film 4 has the British rights and put out the DVD. Since Film 4 put A Room with a View out on Blu-ray, I think there is hope that they might do the same for Maurice.

Alex Cordoba

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
Film 4 has been very quiet on the Blu-ray front. Hope them or other international distributor takes the leap and go ahead with an HD edition of "Maurice"...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I wish Merchant-Ivory would reach another agreement with Criterion. They were pretty good together and I don't see another company caring enough to release these.

Alex Cordoba

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
After their legal battle (Merchant-Ivory vs Janus/Criterion) it seems rather unlikely to reach a new agreement...sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks