What's new

ANY 4:3 HDTV that will not lock into WS mode with HD signal (1 Viewer)

Victor Y

Agent
Is there any 4:3 HDTV out there will not lock into widescreen mode when feed progressive scan (480P) or HD signal especailly direct view TV.

Personally I do not like stretching and there's still a lot of DVD out there and even SDTV signal that is still in 4:3 mode. My new Phillips will not display progressive 4:3 image correctly and I want to know is there any TV out there will. I am thinking about returning the TV because it's going to be a major problem. Please help!!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Return it now, otherwise you will be cursing it from now to doomsday.
I don't know what is available in the marketplace but if you can't find something you like, better to wait instead of suffer through unpleasurable viewing experiences night after night.
What is also needed is for more public protest in the form of not buying the TV sets with this problem. Then more manufacturers will offer sets without this problem.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Victor Y

Agent
Allan,

You have a very great web page with a lot of useful informations. Thank you.

Should I try to see if I can do a height control as you suggested in your web page. Will it distort the picture further? I love the picture of the TV and I get a very good deal on it. I just hate to send it back (online) without exploring all the options.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Victor,

Another option is to use source components that provide proper aspect ratio controls. Most HDTV set top boxes provide some sort of aspect ratio control. In my area, though, all the local stations properly window-box 4x3 material, so there is no need to change the aspect control settings on the HD tuner.

As for DVD players, many will provide aspect ratio controls and zoom/scaling. Panasonic, JVC, and Toshiba all come to mind.

My Toshiba 56H80 TV locks into FULL mode with a 1080i signal, but not with a 480p signal. However, since upgrading to a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player, I leave the TV in FULL mode at all times anyway and let the RP-91 handle the aspect ratio. The picture quality is much better using the RP-91 than the Toshiba's Theaterwide zoom mode for non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs, and it is also much more convenient when watching supplemental material.

Victor Y

Agent
Scott,

My problem is with 4:3 TV and when it lock into full mode, it is using a widescreen format. My DVD player has zoom mode and it will zoom the picture but zoom within the WS format. Basically the TV has complete control on how the picture is going to show in 4:3 and 16:9 in progressive mode and the TV will choose 16:9 everytimes.

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
The Hitachi 53UDX10B does what you're looking for. It will allow you to zoom in on a 16:9 image and make it 4:3 without any distortion. I think that's what you're asking about anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks