What's new

RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2024) (1 Viewer)

Flicks*

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
Some photos of the beach where the storm
Some photos of the beach where the storm sequence was filmed.
2016-10-22 18.15.01.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Know anyone there who's renting out a room?;)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dear Warner Archive or Criterion,

I would like to bring to your attentions a short television film directed by David Lean entitled "Lost and Found: The Story of Cook's Anchor" (1979). According to Robert Harris, in another thread, it is currently "owned by Australian TV". I feel that this 40 minute work would be a coup of a supplement and inclusion, were either WAC or Criterion of the mind to finally release "Ryan's Daughter" on Blu Ray or - dare I say - 4K/UHD.

Sincerely,
PMF

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dear Warner Archive or Criterion,

I would like to bring to your attentions a short television film directed by David Lean entitled "Lost and Found: The Story of Cook's Anchor" (1979). According to Robert Harris, in another thread, it is currently "owned by Australian TV". I feel that this 40 minute work would be a coup of a supplement and inclusion, were either WAC or Criterion of the mind to finally release "Ryan's Daughter" on Blu Ray or - dare I say - 4K/UHD.

Sincerely,
PMF

The film was made as a promotional piece for The Bounty.

Has nothing to do with Ryan.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The film was made as a promotional piece for The Bounty.

Has nothing to do with Ryan.
So true, but the common thread between "Ryan's Daughter" and "Story of an Anchor" is that both projects involved the triad of David Lean,Robert Bolt and Eddie Fowlie;
and there are scarce other Lean titles for future BD releases to which "Story of an Anchor" could find a venue.
As it was, Twilight Time's "The Bounty" looked great; but, alas, no supplement concerning this television short.
On a final note, if "Lost and Found: The Story of an Anchor" were made available as a stand alone disc, I would absolutely buy it.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And so it is. We continue to wait for "Ryan's Daughter".

Apart from the known problems of the OCN and Elements of other 70mm fares;
i.e. "Raintree County" and "Around the World in 80 Days";
no such issues are know to exist in matters concerning "Ryan's Daughter".

At this stage of the game, one can only hope that a 4K/UHD + Blu Ray will now make the scene;
as Warner's had recently achieved with "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Overseas, Christopher Nolan secured a 70mm print of "Ryan's Daughter" from Sweden,
in order to showcase this work in London at last year's BFI Southbank; to which he was curator.
In addition, "Ryan's Daughter" continues to be raised in many other Home Theater Forum threads as a Wish-List entry.
Place these two entities together and we are looking at a current and wide-ranging audience base;
as established by the presence and inputs of Sweden, Britain, Ireland, France, Australia, Canada and The United States.

Either Warner's will release "Ryan's Daughter" or they won't;
and there isn't a blessed thing that this post will change within their decisions.
At best, this Post serves only to remind Warner's that such interests in "Ryan's Daughter" still remains;
as hereafter and hopefully shown by any renewed commentaries and posts by fellow HTF members.

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
As i have said before i went to the 2 screenings of Ryans Daughter in NFT 1 in 70mm and it was fab.
If this came out on 4K UHD it would be best, even better than 2001 as the original 65mm neg should
be in excellent shape.
But remember we have The Evil Dead shot on 16mm out in 4K UHD:)

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
As i have said before i went to the 2 screenings of Ryans Daughter in NFT 1 in 70mm and it was fab.
If this came out on 4K UHD it would be best, even better than 2001 as the original 65mm neg should
be in excellent shape.

I watched the Region 1 DVD of Ryan's D . at the weekend and thought the picture and sound qualities were excellent so why there is the continual delay to the BD release is unacceptable . It is a good movie and by today's Hollywood offerings it is a classic.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I watched the Region 1 DVD of Ryan's D . at the weekend and thought the picture and sound qualities were excellent. It is a good movie and by today's Hollywood offerings it is a classic.

I just returned from a first ever trip across the Big Pond, including a 2-night stay on Dingle Peninsula. Visiting the RD shooting locations was almost magical. Most of the tourists in the area were tramping all over the STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI spots on the hilltops, while I gloried in the practically unpeopled beaches and rocks where the guns landed. Managed to trick my wife into touching the engraved standing stone in front of the real schoolhouse to discover it's not a rock.

I met and had a lively chat with a curio shop owner who was present during the film shoots. Her father was one of the locals hired to work on the crew, and she assured me that everyone in the area believes David Lean lifted the County Kerry population out of third world conditions thanks to RYAN'S DAUGHTER.

I have always liked the movie more than the contemporary US film critics, but after seeing and hearing the effect the show has had on the warm, wonderful folks who live there I admire it even more. A Blu-ray or UHD disc would be one of my most prized possessions.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
be in excellent shape.

The combination of little natural light and lots of special effects make 2001 one of the less detailed western 65mm productions, so I would say that RD could look quite a bit better. I do not say this to diminish what an important movie 2001 is and within the limits of its production 65mm certainly helped to still make it look very good but it simply does not have the really detailed scenes that you find in just about every large format production shot outdoors and with a lot of natural light.

Ryan's Daughter on the other hand is one of the best examples of how good and detailed 70mm can look. We would be in for a treat if Warner went back to the OCN and released it on Blu-ray and UHD and it could look better than any of the titles that are currently out there. Not that there is much of a chance of this one getting the full OCN 8k scan treatment but it would certainly be worth it due to the sheer amount of detail RD has to offer.

And you are of course right - who needs Ryan's Daughter in UHD when we can revel in the otherwordly quality of The Evil Dead :D

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I did read sometime ago that they only printed 11 prints of the original 65mm neg so it should be in good order if it has been well looked after.

Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I did read sometime ago that they only printed 11 prints of the original 65mm neg so it should be in good order if it has been well looked after.
11 prints sound extremely low. Luckily we seem to at least still have UK, Scandinavian and German prints in existence so the surival rate would be very high for these prints.

In any case it is very unlikely that this one has been overprinted which is a real benefit for movies that have been less popular when they were released as at least it will make it less costly to bring these movies to (UHD-)Blu-ray.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, I think I've got it all figured out.

As it is, Warner's and WAC has achieved and maintained an excellence with their array of BD efforts, transfers and restoration; thus making it possible for us to have so many classic titles stocked up within our home theater libraries.

And with the recent release of "2001", we've even got ourselves a major entry and representation of where it all can go when the world of 70mm meets the world of 4K/UHD.

Yup, I surely do believe that I have cracked the code of waiting and longing; as I am now of the belief that each of the prior Warner and WAC labors were merely an exercise, practice and prototype effort in a long-term preparation; all in the cause of leading us to a perfected delivery of Ryan's Daughter.

Well, not that I actually believe that any of my cited imaginings are actually true; but it is Christmas time and my inner-child still thrives on dreams.

Happy Holidays to one and all.:)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
We pop in a disc. We wait for the menu. And we feel an impatience as we are forced to sit through the preambles of those red-lettered warnings. I know, I'm the same way. Been there, done that. Let's skip it. Let's take it for granted. It's all too familiar and boring. Now, let's get on with the movie. But wait. Have we actually taken the time to write it all down? Have we actually gone straight to our laptops and sought out the information that's being provided? Probably not. So here it is. All written down. Handy-dandy and ready to go. There's even a link; as provided by the National Intellectual Property Coordination Center.​

Piracy is not a victimless crime.
For more information on how digital theft
harms the economy, please visit

www.iprcenter.gov

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We pop in a disc. We wait for the menu. And we feel an impatience as we are forced to sit through the preambles of those red-lettered warnings. I know, I'm the same way. Been there, done that. Let's skip it. Let's take it for granted. It's all too familiar and boring. Now, let's get on with the movie. But wait. Have we actually taken the time to write it all down? Have we actually gone straight to our laptops and sought out the information that's being provided? Probably not. So here it is. All written down. Handy-dandy and ready to go. There's even a link; as provided by the National Intellectual Property Coordination Center.​

Piracy is not a victimless crime.
For more information on how digital theft
harms the economy, please visit

www.iprcenter.gov

Contacted them once. Laughed at me. Same with that organization protecting our borders from terrorists. Couldn’t care less about IP crime.

Pretty logos, though...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Contacted them once. Laughed at me. Same with that organization protecting our borders from terrorists. Couldn’t care less about IP crime.

Pretty logos, though...
Well, then, I guess we both have done our bid.:thumbsup:

"...and now, back to our regularly scheduled program of Any 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19 News on Ryan's Daughter?":rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks