What's new

RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2024) (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Mixed feelings about the possibly that it might be 49th Parallel.

On the one hand, I tired of waiting and finally shelled out for the French Carlotta BD of 49th recently (which thankfully doesn't have forced subs); so I'd feel like a schmuck if a pristine release soon followed.

On the other hand, I like this film a lot, so would definitely and eagerly buy it again, if a BD surfaces from superior elements.

Would love the mystery find to be "Leave Her to Heaven", as Paul Rossen has guessed (or was that more than just a guess, Paul?).

Unfortunately, just wishful thinking on my part. It's been known that Fox dumped original elements from late 40's productions. I was hoping that somehow original elements for Leave Her To Heaven turned up. Oh well...

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Of course, you all do know that whatever we guess...RAH will never confirm. Right?:lol:

We will have to wait and see. I really do not care what the title is. It will probably be a title that most of us won't even be interested in buying a copy. If it is RYAN"S DAUGHTER;THE ALAMO or RAINTREE COUNTY, then I am definitely not interested.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I'm sure most of us will be interested in buying a copy if we are true lovers of film.
What is your meaning of being 'true lovers of film'?.I grew up on seeing European cinema and for free as I and my parents worked in 5 cinemas. I am a massive fan of European and Asian cinema. American cinema generally leaves me cold. There are some exceptions.There is only one English speaking film in my top ten list of films seen. American cinema started to go downhill in the fifties and never recovered.(In my opinion).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is your meaning of being 'true lovers of film'?.I grew up on seeing European cinema and for free as I and my parents worked in 5 cinemas. I am a massive fan of European and Asian cinema. American cinema generally leaves me cold. There are some exceptions.There is only one English speaking film in my top ten list of films seen. American cinema started to go downhill in the fifties and never recovered.(In my opinion).
To each his own!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
If it is RYAN"S DAUGHTER;THE ALAMO or RAINTREE COUNTY, then I am definitely not interested.

As Robert said, to each his own.

Just the same, a particularly curious comment by Peter on a thread devoted to this very film; and on a forum where interest is especially high for the three films named.

Of course, it can't be Ryan's Daughter (or the other two films), as RAH reported that the recovered elements are those of a 40's film.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Mixed feelings about the possibly that it might be 49th Parallel.

On the one hand, I tired of waiting and finally shelled out for the French Carlotta BD of 49th recently (which thankfully doesn't have forced subs); so I'd feel like a schmuck if a pristine release soon followed. [...]
RMajidi,
I, myself, would want to have a pristine 4K release of every David Lean film.
But I promise that feeling like a schmuck would - in the long run - be worth every penny to you; or, at least, maybe to me.:lol:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Unfortunately, just wishful thinking on my part. It's been known that Fox dumped original elements from late 40's productions. I was hoping that somehow original elements for Leave Her To Heaven turned up. Oh well...
Hey, I'm all for "Leave Her to Heaven" or even "Wilson" (both being Oscar wins for DP Shamroy):thumbs-up-smiley:;
and I can see why your guess was nearly as brilliant as mine:rolleyes:;
but why, then, would Mr. Harris decide to lay this 11 months of suspense on us, within this particular thread?:)
Oh yes, he's a cool and crafty one:cool:;
so much so, that I may have to change the title of this thread to "The RAH Expeditions".:chatter:

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Hey, I'm all for "Leave Her to Heaven" or even "Wilson" (both being Oscar wins for DP Shamroy):thumbs-up-smiley:;
and I can see why your guess was nearly as brilliant as mine:rolleyes:;
but why, then, would Mr. Harris decide to lay this 11 months of suspense on us, within this particular thread?:)
Oh yes, he's a cool and crafty one:cool:;
so much so, that I may have to change the title of this thread to "The RAH Expeditions".:chatter:

If you're right and it turns out to be Wilson, I'd be willing to pay a lot of money to get it. Have kept away from the DVD due to universally poor reviews of its quality.

Intrigued by President Woodrow Wilson himself, as well as the film dedicated to him. I understand it was Zanuck's attempt to create a movie on the lavish scale of Gone With the Wind and with a budget to match, but which bombed badly at the box-office despite winning 5 Oscars.

All very timely on the eve of your President's Day!

...Three-strip Technicolor?

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's just as bad as when I learned Santa Claus wasn't real - yesterday :)

Regards,

Living in hope ;)
He is real! And still saving us all
images

From the Martians (with some assistance from future Golden Globes Best Actress winner Pia Zadora!) ;)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I too would also love it if it were Wilson - a truly great and underrated masterpiece with Alexander Knox really giving us a magnificent performance. Again, Fox being what it is, was, and shall be, I won't hold my breath, though even a remaster in hi-def with color correction at this point would be welcome. Ditto for Forever Amber.

Personally, I'd be over the moon if it were ANY of the following: The Best Years of Our Lives, Meet John Doe, The Sea Hawk, I Walked With A Zombie, Gaslight, The Talk of the Town, Pride and Prejudice, The Enchanted Cottage, Holiday in Mexico, That Midnight Kiss, Now Voyager, Random Harvest, For Whom the Bell Tolls, National Velvet, Lassie Come Home, Old Acquaintance, Since You Went Away, Mrs. Parkington, Mr. Skeffington, Song of the South, The White Cliffs of Dover, The Valley of Decision, State Fair, Anchors Aweigh, The Lost Weekend, My Reputation, Miracle on 34th Street (which has been promised by Fox in a remastered version for some time), Oliver Twist, Portrait of Jennie, State of the Union, Hamlet, The Great Gatsby or Pinky.

But why oh why do I have the sneaking suspicion its Centennial Summer...the catalog TT release, announced, then canceled, and presently long delayed because of a 'rights issue'?!?

RAH could narrow the field by giving us an additional clue: namely, is the mystery title one that has already been available on DVD in a poor transfer or is it a presumed MIA title newly unearthed and about to make its debut for the very first time anywhere? Hint? Hint? Pretty please.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Best Years of Our Lives came out on Blu-ray a few years ago. So did Anchors Aweigh, but that disc was not as good as it should have been.

Reactions: PMF

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Neither releases were any good. It's appalling no one will stick there necks out to rescue the Goldwyn library from oblivion. Little Foxes, Wuthering Heights...anyone?!? I could say the same about the Samuel Bronston epics and David O. Selznick MIA's too!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Neither releases were any good. It's appalling no one will stick there necks out to rescue the Goldwyn library from oblivion. Little Foxes, Wuthering Heights...anyone?!? I could say the same about the Samuel Bronston epics and David O. Selznick MIA's too!

To save a library, even one of fifty or so films, the owner(s) must be willing to invest.

In the case of the Goldwyn library, a third is worthy of real investment, while the other titles are best protected as assets.

While I'd love to see this occur, and we're not even discussing extreme investments, I don't see it happening.

The Bronston productions are easy, and do not need true restoration, merely new image harvests.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

I think The Best Years Of Our Lives Blu-ray disc is excellent, and so did most people when the disc first came out. It should be remembered that the OCN for this film was lost long ago.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This mystery film dropped on us by RAH may become the ultimate Blind-Buy in home theater history.
With no title, no reviews and no nothing, I wonder how many of us have already committed to a Pre-Order,
even though we have nowhere to place it?:D

P.S. You had me at "Hallelujah".:lol:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
At the year's end and upon its release, I hope that Robert Harris will clarify which film he was alluding to.
After all, I am certain that the title of this mystery will get lost in the shuffle, within the multitude of all the other BD Xmas releases that are bound to appear.
Right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks