What's new

Anti-Surge Power Blocks (Belkin) (1 Viewer)

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks

Partly as an experiment I connected up a 6 way Belkin Anti-Surge Power Block to my system.

As soon as I did the sound was dreadful very muddy in the midrange.

Does anyone know why this should be? I know that these things are really meant for PCs, but any ideas.

Suffice to say that my original 6 way strip is now reconnected

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
can't say as i have a reasonable explanation for what you found. which belkin product?

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
It's a "Surgemaster" 6 way powerblock that protects ("sensitive equipment") against electrical spikes, RF interference on the mains etc. It also has the facility to protect phone lines and aerial connections

Anyway I connected it up to see if there would be a noticeable difference in the sound from the system. There sure was, the midrange was destroyed by a muffled sound. First of all I thought that something had gone wrong with the speakers or the amp, but as soon as the original unfiltered power strip was reconnected, the problem disappeared.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
can't see how it could possibly affect your amp. i believe that's a straight MOV based unit and i don't think it incorporates any series mode components which companies like Bryston feel can cause current limiting. sounds like something else is going on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks