What's new

Anthem AVM-20 Bass Peak Level setting (1 Viewer)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hi AVM-20 owners!

Now that we have had the AVM-20 in our home for 24+ hours, I have finally gotten around to revisiting the owner's manual (kind of mediocre - I have seen worse and I have seen better) for the system's setup. One setting I came across was the Bass Peak Level setting, starting on page 42 or 43 (depending on version of manual you are looking at).

Our new pair of ACI Titan II LEs have some sort of protection overload circuitry (I believe, I am waiting for confirmation on this, having just received them last week). Having owned an M&K MX-125mkII before, which also has protection overload circuitry, it was recommended that I bypass the peak limiter that was in the Lexicon MC-1 we owned at the time. Given that, what are owners of the AVM-20 using as a setting for the Bass Peak Level? What is the maximum it can be set to? Is it possible to set it to a value without hearing the test tones?

Thanks,

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Okay, so I have received the information that the Titan II LEs have limiters/protection circuits, so I can basically turn off the Bass Peak Level in the AVM-20. Since it does not look like it can be switched off/bypassed, what is the maximum it can be set to?

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I got an email back from Sonic Frontiers and they stated that all I needed to do was set the Bass Peak Level to the maximum. But before doing so, I powered off the subs so that I would not hear the sub test tones (which can get quite loud). I tried a couple of "bassy" movies (Toy Story II, Fifth Element) and indeed the subs are playing the extremes of the bass at a much louder sound level.

Michael

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I've found that if you happen to be playing another source (CD, DVD, whatever) when you decide to play with the bass peak level, watch out and be careful. For a split second after you set the now increased bass peak level, the volume level of the source you are playing also hits that volume level, like I said, for a split second. It could hurt your speakers if it's too loud and it's definately not good for those trying to sleep. My roommate was none too pleased when I was fiddling with mine tonight.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Evan,

I hadn't noticed the volume increase, but then again I hadn't raised the level very much before I decided to ask my question. To set the Bass Peak Level to the maximum, I unplugged the subs and turned off the DVD player. So, I didn't hear the test tones nor was music or a movie playing at the time.

"My roommate was none too pleased when I was fiddling with mine tonight."

Hmmm, sounds like a shipment has arrived! I will be sure to look for your comments on another thread (this one has sort of gone its course).

Michael

Sam Sugob

Auditioning
I've learned that you should not make any "setup option" changes to your aVM-20 after you have already changed the default options. HI Guys!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sam,

"I've learned that you should not make any "setup option" changes to your aVM-20 after you have already changed the default options."

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say here. Do you have an example of a setup change that explains your statement.

Thanks,

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks