What's new

Annoying shoulder problem. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Past couple weeks I've noticed a minor but annoying shoulder problem in my right shoulder. If I lift my arm a certain way, I can feel something either pinching a nerve or straining in the shoulder area. Kind of like the rotator bone in the shoulder is rubbing something the wrong way or a muscle is strained. Fortunately, doesn't affect my paddling, canoeing, or cycling and is not that painful but wondering if anybody else has experienced something like this. I find if I bend my arm completely at the elbow and then move the arm forward, I can get the shoulder tweaked to feel the pain.

I'm wondering if it might be a bone spur cause I would think a sprained muscle or similar would heal by now. Anyway, before I go see a doctor, like to get some opinions...

Jay

Denward

Supporting Actor
I had shoulder problems about 10 years ago. I went to an orthopaedic surgeon. He pushed my arm around and determined that I had classic weekend warrior symptoms. I was playing a lot of overhand sports at the time (tennis and volleyball) so the diagnosis was that my shoulder had gotten a little loose due to muscle weakness. My treatment was rest and physical therapy which involved doing some simple exercises with these giant rubber bands. Each rubber band was a different thickness and color coded. I started with the thinnest and moved my way up over the course of a few weeks. All I had to do was attach them to a doorknob or something else sturdy and spend 15 minutes 3 or 4 times a day.

I hope your outcome is as good as mine.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Shoulder problems can take ages to clear up, even mild ones. First, because you use your shoulders an amazing amount of the time (so the injured area doesn't get much rest), and second, because for various reasons tissue repair takes longer in the shoulder region.

However, I'd strongly advise seeing a doctor as the precise form of treatment varies according to the condition, and the sooner the better.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
DO get it checked. I had something similar happen, then 6 months later I dislocated that shoulder. Having nurses dope you up on Vallium and Morphine so 4 people can hold you down while 2 pull on your arm yet it still hurts is not something I would recommend.

Of course the second time my orthopedist happened to be on the service the same weekend and he was able to reduce it with much less pain and no drugs. He was probably close to retirement age and strong as a bear and new the old school way to do it.

There is no way I can swim now although daily use and other activities like home improvement/light construction or mild sports don't really bother me though.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Yea Jay, when you start getting up in the years, these kind of injuries really start to become a problem. The other guys were right, shoulder injuries usually take months to heal or they may always be there. I remember screwing up my shoulder doing weights on an incline bench and for 9 months it hurt to raise my arm up to shampoo my hair,had to use the other arm to raise it up there. At the time I wasn't able to afford a doctor so I dealt with it and just sucked it up. Let us know how it does, we all can relate sir.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks folks, somebody suggested Bursitis. Either way, the pain is very very very very minor but I'm due for a physical anyway, I'll ask my PCP for either an opinion or a referral...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks