What's new

Anchor Bay to release 2 rarely-seen George Romero films (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Anchor Bay Entertainment have announced that they will be releasing a 2-disc set of George Romero's early 1970s films, Season of the Witch (aka Jack's Wife) and the "lost" There's Always Vanilla. Romero doesn't really think much of either film, but they do provide a crucial bridge between Night of the Living Dead and his films from later in the 70s.

DJ

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting about "There's Always Vanilla," which is always called Romero's "lost" movie. I bought a tape from Something Weird for a friend a couple of years back and it was faded but complete. It unfortunately isn't very good-- it's like watching randier episodes of "Love, American Style" to get a view of early 70's fashions and mores.

Both of these are more "completists only" titles, but I'm glad to see them coming nonetheless.

Jeez, the impossible-to-find "Fast Company" AND "There's Always Vanilla" in the same year...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll pick this up. I think we rented Season 5 years ago, but I fell asleep (started at 3am).

Not to hi-jack the thread, but are there good SE's of "The Crazies" and "Martin"?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Crazies - Great transfer, great extras. Get it now! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Martin - I don't have this edition, is it good?

UK Region 2 edition - I don't have this either. Is 1.33:1 the OAR? What is the Romero documentary like?

I strongly recommend Anchor Bay's edition of Knightriders, which is a brilliant film, in my eyes. Yes, it is overlong, but there are many great sequences, the score is superb and the ending a beauty. The transfer is excellent and the group commentary is fun and informative.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
The Romero documentary is probably just the episode of "The Directors" on his work. Anchor Bay has been periodically releasing that show as supplements along with divimax discs like Time Bandits and The Hills Have Eyes.

I also recommend the Knightriders and Martin discs if you can find them (got 'em both, woo!). Both excellent films, with commentaries, trailers and decent menus. I don't know why they're OOP, but it can't be long before they're available again. Perhaps Anchor Bay is planning on a director box set?

Btw, for Romero fans, Synapses' release of Document of the Dead is a MUST. Behind-the-scenes info on Martin, Dawn of the Dead and Two Evil Eyes, with tidbits scattered around for Creepshow, Night of the Living Dead [1990] and other stuff. The film covers the entire process of creating Dawn of the Dead, so if it isn't included in the uber-box set from AB in September... you'll have to pick it up.

Added: The Crazies release is terrific. Out of the 500-600 DVDs I have, it's one of my favorite commentaries. Romero talks about every bit of technical/behind-the-scenes info regarding the film, and manages to go into other material as well including his thoughts on other directors. He just tore into Michael Bay, which was awesome.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
It is amusing every time I hear about "There's Always Vanilla" being a 'lost' film. It was never lost - it's just that no video distributor ever wanted to release it before now due to its very limited appeal. I remember it being shopped around in the late 80's (I believe by Walter Manley) to video distributors including a Japanese video distributor I was working for. They sent us a full screener that looked great, but even though the Japanese were Romero fanatics, they even passed on acquiring the film. It's not that bad a movie, but it's appeal is definitely marginal. It is cool to see some of the same actors from NOTLD in color footage, but that's about it.

So "lost" - no. Just no legitimate video company really wanted to touch it until now. Marginal appeal aside, I am definitely looking forward to this disc.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
I liked Season when I watched it on VHS a few years back. I thought it could've been MUCH better in a longer form.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Actually, Anchor Bay already released the 104 minute version of "SEASON OF THE WITCH" on VHS several years ago. Although the VHS box indicated "SOTW" as the title and a 90 minute running time, the actual print they used had the "Jack's Wife" title on it and ran 104 minutes.

Unfortunately, there were some newly added sound efx and foley sounds in certain scenes for some strange unexplained reason. I'm betting (or at least hoping) that AB will correct these sound anomalies for the DVD release since it's mentioned that they are restoring it with the original mono soundtrack. We'll see what happens.

jon_farthing

Agent
The documentary on the R2 Martin is about 20 minutes long, and is in german with subtitles. Despite that it has a few interesting things to say, but its not worth picking the disc up for.

Also Romero speaking in English, with a German translator speaking over the top, with english subtitles gives you a real headache after a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks