What's new

Anchor Bay season 1's for Xena and Hercules (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/future/

XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS - First Season in April 2003
Lucy Lawless returns in grand style as the grand warrior princess Xena comes to DVD in full season box sets starting this April. Sporting newly re-mastered transfers of each episode including new Dolby 5.1 audio tracks, this collection will also features bonus features to be determined. Expect additional seasons at regular intervals, to be determined later.

HERCULES: THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS - First Season in June 2003
The one that started it all. Kevin Sorbo stars as the immortal Hercules in this exciting action series which spawned the popular Xena: Warrior Princess. Sporting newly re-mastered transfers of each episode including new Dolby 5.1 audio tracks, this collection will also features bonus features to be determined. Expect additional seasons at regular intervals, to be determined later.

James Reader

Screenwriter
See I knew this would happen. Puts the Universal Playback UK releases to shame. (They couldn't even be bothered to include subtitles - let alone remastering or supplements). And I assume Anchor Bay will have the Season One set in the correct order on the discs!

*sigh* And the second Season 5 set arrived through my door today completing the series. At least I've had "The Bitter Suite" on DVD for a while.

Time to upgrade. :frowning:

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Hooray! :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Anchor Bay?!! Fantastic news!

I bought the R2 Xena DVDs (first season) and the quality was pathetic. (I stopped when I heard they were releasing the last season in pan/scam). I look forward to the R1 discs from a company that cares. I also passed on the R1 DVD of the finale because it was pan/scam... and I still haven't seen it! :frowning:

Now, I believe, in the case of Xena, that seasons 3+ were shot in w/s, however the effects for season 3 were made for the inner 4:3 ratio. Anyone know about Herc?

Time to upgrade. :frowning:
Why the long face? Sell your R2 copies quick! :)

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.com has already Xena - Season One up for pre-order.
Street Date April 29th and Amazon sells it for $67.49.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
This is very interesting news, if only because it means that if Anchor Bay are forming a relationship with Universal and Renaissance (the production company), it means that there's a very good chance that American Gothic might be next...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
This can't make the Hercules/Xena store happy. They are selling the sets for full price (around $100). I guess they get the discs a couple of months earlier then everyone else.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Jeff, was that an announcement, a prediction or a wish?

I'd love to see JoAT too. I watched it while I was living in America for a couple of years back. AFAIK it's never made it to UK screens.

This can't make the Hercules/Xena store happy.
Now that deflated my mood as well - the s1 sets from that store are pretty much bare bones. Does this mean that AB isn't producing the discs, merely distributing?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Finally. I held out buying the Official Xena/Hercules store versions as there were rumors around fandom that there would be better, cheaper releases. I guess the rumors were true.

Anchor Bay already had something of a relationship with RenPics. (They released the Evil Dead movies.) Hopefully, this expanded relationship will lead to Darkman SE, Lunatics: A Love Story and Cleopatra 2525.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Put me down for Hercules. I will probably buy Xena later. So many TV shows coming out in the next few months. I also hope this paves the way for American Gothic to be released.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Dan, if you want Cleopatra 2525, it's out in the UK

Jack of all Trades is out NOWHERE however ;(

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Puts the Universal Playback UK releases to shame. (They couldn't even be bothered to include subtitles
Errr... Did you see who is releasing these sets?

Anchor Bay... as in "no subtitles at all, only Closed Captions" Anchor Bay.

:frowning:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay is only distributing the disks. They're being made by the same people who do Highlander (and are available through them at a more expensive price right now)

Damn good thing I didn't pay attention to the telemarketers trying to sell me the Xena Seasons on VHS. They said that they did test marketing and that they would never be on DVD.

Lying sacks of...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nate, good call. :)

I'm curious, when was this? At this late date, I would venture to say that there is no title that would ever be excluded from the DVD format. It is now considered the standard.

Unless your name is George Lucas, you won't be giving VHS an exclusive run on any item.

It was a while back. I think it was either during the final season or just after it ended. Can't remember. They really wanted to sell me those videos.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Amazon.ca has it for $54.97.

I second Jack of All Trades! I've got all the eps on dvd-r but they're from old VHS tapes. How about Brisco County Jr. while we're at it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks