What's new

"An American Haunting" Discussion (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I get stuck trying to open that site for some reason, but I heard they were doing a bigger budgeted retelling of A Haunting in Connecticut, the History channel made telefilm about a connecticut family that moved into a former funeral home and was under attack by a demon, but this doesn't sound like that from what i've heard.

I'm really into this sort of topic as I believe in the supernatural, so i'm definitely there for this one. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Whoa. It's directed by Courtney Solomon. Never thought I'd see his name on a movie again after the Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie debacle.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The story of the Bell Witch is one of the most intensely unnerving legends I've ever come across. If done right, this film can be terrifying. Considering the director though, that may be a big if.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just read the synopsis with the effects playing on the website...And it freaked me out.

:eek:

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
this film has opened in the UK and despite the strong cast (didn't know who the director was until after I saw it) it is one of the worst films I have seen this year. Not remotely scary (unless loud noises scare you).

Avoid!!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I plan to see it this weekend, i'll certaintly post afterwards. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm pretty leniant towards haunted house movies, the subject itself I find disturbing and these movies tap into that part of my brain, the part that fears what you can't see that could hurt you.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Just from the trailer, it looks like a huge step up for the director, who might do better removed from his obsession with D&D. At the same time, though, it looks very similar to a lot of other movies, including The Village and especially The Exorcism of Emily Rose, yet, at least in terms of imagery, not as strong as either.

Don't know if I like the modern conceit either. Looks to be worth a rental based on reviews, but I can't remember the last time a scary movie actually scared me.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The simple haunting thrillers are the one's that I find the most effective, like The Changeling, not flashy, just simple, quiet and spooky as all hell. :emoji_thumbsup:

The Entity is another one, I actually have a hard time watching that one at night by myself lol.

I know, i'm a wuss. ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
A friend and I went and seen this today and I must say we thought it was great! I would rank it with The Others as being 90 minutes of sheer tension. You guys should check it out, it's slickly made and contains some truly nightmarish imagry.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Well, scary sounds are a horror film staple, and this film used that to a very effective end. The thing that stayed with me was the cinematography, classic shots of eerie fog banks, full moons, dark halls and a genuine sense of foreboding, the one thing this movie has no shortage of is spooky atmosphere. :emoji_thumbsup:

Also loved the score which was very Bernard Herman sounding. Overall, an underrated horror film that deserves a shot from fans of this type of horror.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I thought this film was awful. Dialog was bad, acting was bad. I hated the modern day stuff, shows a lack of confidence in the overall material, it was used to tell the viewer how to feel, same for the music stings (which were about the only things that kept me awake).

The cinematography was good, I liked the look. Would have preferred to have seen DP Adrian Biddle take a shot, he has worked with some good directors and surely would hav e done better than Solomon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks