What's new

Amps without a Trigger? Any way of turning them on manually? (1 Viewer)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Got my AMC amps last week and immediately noticed they lacked a trigger to start the amps on automatically. Is there a way I can remotely turn the amps on without leaving the comfort of my couch?:D
My decision to keep these amps would be based on this feature:frowning:
Sorry, the title should read "Automatically" instead of "Manually".

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Answer is yes, but it may require some effort :)
You will need either a signal detection unit, or a current detection circuit which is capable of switching the amps. I would personally DIY it - check out sound.westhost.com for an applicable circuit that can be built cheaply - you may be able to buy a similar thing at Ratshack, I don't know. Just make sure whatever you get is rated at a high enough current (Relays should be at least 10A contact rating I would think)
Cheers
Jonathan

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
Sears Hardware department sells a unit for powering up other equipment one one is turned on. I can't remember what it is called. You would plug your preamp into the top plug and 2 units you want to turn on into the other plugs. When you turn on your preamp or receiver it will automatically turn on your amps. When you turn off the preamp, the amps will go off also. I use in my family room and have it plugged into a wall outlet surge protector. It works great. There is about a 2 second delay. It only cost $20.00.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Jeff, thanks a lot. Will check Sears tomorrow.
Rob, leaving them on will run them pretty hot I guess unless I am wrong.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
My main problem with leaving amps on is that it's a waste of power!

One possible thing to watch regarding switching power boards is that they probably work by using a current sensor. If your pre/pro has a standby mode then it will be using power all the time - hopefully less than the trigger level for the auto switching board. Then you just need to make sure that the pre/pro uses enough current to switch the thing on and off. For $20 from Sears though, it's a cheap thing to test!

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Many decent power centers/conditioners designed for home theater use have voltage triggers on them that can switch certain outlets on and off. My Panamax 5100's have this feature. If you already have a power center you're happy with there are cheaper ways, but if you're going to be buying one anyway it's something to look for.

Harl

Auditioning
Nick,
If your receiver or Pre/Pro has a trigger output, the easiest way to turn on your amps even without triggers on the amps themselves is to buy a little trigger box (not sure of the exact terminology)they are made by Russound. They have outlet plugs on the box that you plug your amps into and 12volt trigger inputs to run from you Rec-pre/pro into this box. You can daisy chain a number of them together if you need to. Just find someplace that carries Russound equipment. For years I tried to figure out a way to do this and was always led to $500.00 Monster Cable power conditioners etc. and then I found these little babies and they only cost around $50.00.

Hope this helps.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I built a small box with an AC relay in it that gets triggered via a DC voltage input. The relay costs about $12, the box $4, and the wire and minijack plug cost $3. The power cord goes right through the box and relay. Worked like a champ.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Harl, could you please give me the model number or a link or something. I went on the Russound site and came up empty.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
The Sears unit does not have a trigger input and won't work with many preamps that go to standby rather than full-off. Power-strips w/trigger inputs appear to sell for $50-$100.

Marty

Mel Vail

Auditioning
If your preamp (or receiver) has a 12v trigger out, Niles makes a 12v trigger outlet for about $70.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Mel, could you provide me with some sort of a link to the Niles device, I could not find it, thanks.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Be brave and wire a bunch of wall sockets to a light switch mounted close to your seating location. Works like a charm. Of course, you have to have some savy and electrical skill. You need to OF COURSE turn off your power to whatever circuit you connect to and you also need to follow your local electrical building code. I did this in my room with four sockets to control my receiver, CD player, TV and subwoofer all separately. Works perfectly.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Rob, leaving them on will run them pretty hot I guess unless I am wrong.
Leaving amps on is common practice for a lot of people. There is not a heat isse at idle. Some high end amps don't even have power switches.

Waste of electricity might be a concern, however it is nominal.

My amps are on all of the time. No warmup and no initial surge.

That is worth a buck or two a month imo.

-rob

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
Nick, I have a Niles AC-3 that I used in my system for a while. I have enclosed a link for you. If you are interested, I will sell you mine for $50.00 shipped. It accepts a trigger from you preamp and will turn on 2 devices. I has a third plug that is always on. http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/120vss.html
Good Luck, Jeff

Harl

Auditioning
Nick,
I decided in the end not to use the trigger but it did work fine when I had it. Thus, I do not have the model # of the piece. I will try to call or stop by the store that I got them at and get a model# and post it back here for you, but it may take a day or two (i am away).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks