What's new

Amps in Choices in Canada? (1 Viewer)

WaltC

Agent
Hi,

I'm trying to get some input on amps in Canada. I've looked at the Anthem MCA 50 but not much has been written or reviewed on this amp? I have also dreamed about the Bryston 9B SST. Any thoughts on this 2 amps or any ideas on others that are easily purchased in Ontario? I have Paradigm reference speakers and looking to upgrade the fronts to Studio 100's. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi WaltC. Both of those amplifiers can be found either at Kennedy Hi-Fi in Markham (only deal with Bryston) or at Audio-One in Concorde (On Steeles just west of Jane St.) Audio deals with Anthem, Bryston, and Paradigm.

It might be easier for comparitive listening at Audio-One since they carry both lines of amps that you are considering plust they are Paradigm dealers, thus, you can listen with the speakers you desire.

The number for Audio-One is 416-665-0749.
The number for Kennedy Hi-Fi is 905-474-0330.

I just bought a Studio CC to go with my Studio 80s at Audio-One. They take trade-ins. Ask for Pierro.

These two dealers are in Ontario. Since you didn't list what part of Canada you are from, they may or may not help you. Good Luck.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I haven't heard/read/seen much reviews of the MCA50 myself. I've only seen reviews of their older, original MCA5 , not even the Mk.II. The original was great value for money, but if you wanna play it loud, it gets harsher. The Mk.II was just a minor tweak of the original, allowing it to be stable with 2ohm loads I believe. However, the MCA50 is a larger departure from the above 2 designs, with larger transformers and power supplies IIRC.

Its a pity Canada has so many great price/performance speakers, but when it comes to electronics, Anthem is the only one I know with great bang for the buck. Of course you have Bryston and Classe, but those are way more expensive.

WaltC

Agent
Thanks for the info so far. I'm from southern Ontario and actually talked to Audio One yesterday for a short while. what type of trade in do they take and what type of typically discount would you expect on amps, speakers and an Anthem AVM 20?

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,
How much are you willing to spend?
As for Canadian made, you could try Magnum Dynalab, although they might be a little on the expensive side.
The best audio store I could find in the gta was American Sound of Canada. You would be supprised at what this store carries. They're located in Richmond hill. Phone# (905) 886-7810. Email adress http://www.americansound.com/.
Also try BayBloor audio located at the corner or Bay and Bloor in Toronto.

Andrew Low

Grip
I have a set of the older Anthem MCA II series (the MCA2 and the MCA3) providing 5 channels of power.

Before I bought, I was able to borrow the MCA5 to 'demo' -- which I did against a Bryston 3B (stereo comparison only). I would urge you to demo the amp at home in your system, shop around, not all dealers are willing to let you do this -- but if you are persistent you'll find one.

Considering the price/performance of the Anthem it was a no-brainer decision.

The two amps (Bryston/Anthem) did have a sonic difference. The Bryston seemd to be a little stronger in the bass (or you could call it boomy) -- and it had a wider sound stage. The Anthem felt more neutral (or it had less bass?) and the soundstage was deeper (but not as wide).

Call it a coin toss -- or preference.

For my money today, I'd stay in the more budget amps. The Outlaw amps are a good buy, and you can pick up demo versions of the ATI 1505 at a good price in Ontario. I believe that the new digital amps are 'on the way' and will be a revolution in the amp industry.

Roo

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Christopher,
Don't forget to post your review of the Studio CC at www.audioreview.com. I hope that you notice an improvement from the CC-300 that I believe you had.
WaltC,
There has been numerous posts on this forum with respect to the synergy between Parasound amps and Paradigm speakers. I received a quote over the phone from Stephane at Stereo Plus near Ottawa ((613) 830-6787) for the HCA-1205A (5x140W) amp for $1600. This was by far the best price that I could dig up.
One last item. Yeah, the Bryston 9B SST is a beautiful amplifier. You could try to look for the 9B ST as stores are now making deals on these as the 9B SST are replacing them.
David

WaltC

Agent
Thanks very much for the input. Good description of the #B vs MCA. I understand the new MCA's have been improved to compete with Bryston but I had yet to get a chance to hear the difference. Where would I find ATI amp dealers?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
The Bryston seemd to be a little stronger in the bass (or you could call it boomy)
First time I've ever heard that and I've read all the reviews. Bryston's are known for neutrality and great bass control, even by non-Bryston fans.

If you want a mono-block design, go for the Bryston. If you can find a deal on the 9B-ST THX, that would be the way to go because I don't think there's any significant difference specs-wise between it and the SST model. Or take a look at the poor-man's Bryston, the Sherbourn 5/1500A. Street price on it is ~ $1500US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks