What's new
World Wide Stereo

amp power (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a 25watt plate amp from partsexpress laying around from my previous sub setup and was wondering if I used the line inputs on it and ran speaker wire from my reciever's speaker outputs into it and then ran the speakers from the amp, how much of a difference would it make in output power as compared to just the reciever being hooked straight to the speakers?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s hard to follow what your saying (using a plate amp’s line-in and speaker-level inputs???) but it sounds like you want to connect the plate amp between your receiver and speakers?

Bottom line, the plate amp will only put out 25 watts, if that’s what it’s rated at. The relative strength of the incoming signal does not change its maximum output.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, i meant running the speaker wires from the recievers speaker outputs into the plate amps speaker level input then to the speakers from the plate amp. I was just wondering if it'd give me more or less power than running the speakers off the reciever.

Greg_Hammond

Agent
The plate amplifier doesn't "add" 25 watts to the speaker-level inputs you're putting into it from your receiver. Instead it actually attenuates the signal down to a low voltage, then amplifies it up to the maximum rated power of the plate amp, in this case - 25 watts. If you put 100 watts into it, you're gonna get 25 watts out of it -- not 125 watts.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks