What's new

American Splendor, Thumbs Up! (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Lew, this was at our local google-plex, on a Monday night at 7pm. Not really a prime movie night for most people (we both had the day off of work). It's also playing at our local art house theater, which usually has a much better attendance rate for indie films.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And I saw it in one of our ‘art houses’—that may well account for the attendance difference. Plus it got a very good review in both our mainstream paper and the major alternative, free paper, all of which no-doubt helped.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Saw this today at the local megaplex with about half a dozen total in the audience. I liked it but it wasn't even the best movie I saw today (that accolade would go to Thirteen -- brilliant filmmaking!).

I did appreciate the unique methods employed (breaking down the third, fourth, and fifth wall) and the performances were terrific. I got a lot of laughs from the character of R. Crumb. Recommended!

Rob

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I saw it last night and enjoyed it, though I wouldn't quite put it up there with the best movies I've seen this year (Such as The Shape Of Things and Lilja 4-Ever).

The film is honest, warm, and very human. It is a clarion call to people such as myself stuck in dead-end jobs to find a source of expression in your life, writing, the arts, raising children, etc. if for nothing else than to avoid killing yourself from sheer boredom :).

Also enjoyed the style of the piece, not so much the comic book stuff, which has been done before, but the narration by Harvey, the participation of Harvey, Joyce, and their friends in the film, and especially the behind the camera/studio stuff with Harvey and the actors.

Another point in its favor is the fab jazz soundtrack with Dizzy Gillespie, Coltrane, and some R. Crumb tunes.

There was only 4 other people in the art house I saw it in, but I doubt that 10:00pm on a Wednesday night is a prime showtime and the movie has already been here 3 weeks or so.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I saw this on Tuesday along with Dirty Pretty Things and Matchstick Men. The attendance for all three including me: 20. Also, the only other person in the theater that I was in for American Splendor joined me and one other person for Dirty Pretty Things. Granted, it was Tuesday afternoon, not the most popular time to go, but still I was bewildered.

Anyways, about the movie. Top notch acting all around. I think Paul Giamatti will be vying for Best Actor honors at the Independent Spirit Awards next year along with the lead actor in Dirty Pretty Things (can't spell or pronounce his name. :) ) Loved the combination of live action and animation. I identified with Harvey closely because I have a gloomy cynical look on life too. While Paul and Hope don't really look like their namesakes, it didn't matter as they pulled it off convincingly.

I'll be picking up this one on DVD the first day it is out. That's the ultimate compliment to a movie, for me anyways.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I saw this yesterday with an audience of about 50 at Houston's oldest art house, the River Oaks. I thought it was a great film, and judging by the reaction, the rest of the folks in the theater agreed.

Stellar acting by Giamatti & Davis, a unique look & structure, and a great jazz score were some of the elements that made me love this movie. It's just so alive & inventive. Not to mention it's probably the funniest film I've seen this year. I'm sure it will end up high on my Top Ten for 2003.

My favorite scene was the one Bob Turnbull pointed out when he's talking about the other Pekars in the phone book. Wow! That one scene alone was worth the price of admission.
I liked it but it wasn't even the best movie I saw today (that accolade would go to Thirteen -- brilliant filmmaking!)
Funny - I also saw Thirteen in a "double feature" with AS, but had an oppposite reaction. It was an excellent film, and the acting was stupendous. But Thirteen is one of those films I think I will only need to see once. It's just such an ordeal to watch these people self-destruct. AS, on the other hand, I wanted to watch again right away. Like Zachary, I will be grabbing this DVD on release day. That quality is what made AS the best film I saw yesterday, and one of the best of the year.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I saw it today - phenomenal filmmaking and acting by Giamatti and Davis. I think it's the best film I've seen since Memento. Some of my favorite scenes:

Harvey stuck behind the old Jewish lady in the market

the "Revenge of the Nerds" discussion

the final Letterman appearance

Oscars all around, I hope.

:star: :star: :star: :star:

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I saw this recently as well and agree that it was excellent all around. I think it would be a long shot for any Oscars, especially with the new rules about no screeners. I suspect it will win some Independent Spirit awards.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Wow....I am really in the minority on this one. Even the critics linked on Yahoo! Movies have it averaged for an "A" rating. The way I found it was scanning HTF members recent top 10 lists...placed it in my Blockbuster Queue...arrived today.

I liked it...and maybe I went in with too high expectations. It is clever the way it combines real life with animation and using just plain folks. That was clever and kind of cool. I just couldn't get into it.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
I wanted too...but for some reason found myself not getting absorbed in much of anything, other than the style of the film. On that level, it scores high.

Overall, I was disappointed but liked it ok.

7/10. :)

Mike.P

Second Unit
Funny this came back up - In my comic books class (yes, that is really a course offered at my university and yes, it actually is quite engaging) we read American Splendor and then watched the film. While Giametti was great in the film, if you were disappointed with the film Tim, I would recommend staying even further from the book - it was quite a chore to get through.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I remember liking this a lot. I also remember being a bit put off by his reaction to success: I felt his cynicism increasingly became an act as his fortunes changed. But it's been a while, I need to see it again.

Fun resurrecting thread of these somewhat forgotten gems, Tim.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks