What's new

Amelie - record breaker! (1 Viewer)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
The wonderful movie Amelie has broken NA records for ticket sales for a French Language film:
Link Removed
I just loved this film, and I am looking forward to a wonderful DVD when it leaves the theaters

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
In part, it goes to show the difference between what marks success for arthouse and mainstream fare. (I realize the generalization isn't perfect, but just go with it.) I was sent the press release from Miramax about this, and Amelie broke the record with something like $20-21 million in tickets sales. I assumed it had made more than that considering how long it has been playing here.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And if Universal were to open Brotherhood Of The Wolf nationwide, this record could potentially fall pretty quickly. Not that it's necessarily a better movie, it just may be easier to market.

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
ugh, when they make good foreign films, they should make the actors do an english version when they're shooting the film.

Subtitles give me eyestrain after about a half hour, and dubbed voices suck.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Subtitles give me eyestrain after about a half hour, and dubbed voices suck.
Sit in the front row! Amelie's worth it!:D Also, I can say that this is the first foreign film I've seen, that's made you forget you're watching subtitles - the film just draws you in so close, and doesn't let go! Go see.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
That's the silliest, most off-base thing I've read in some time, Aaron. Jeez. Maybe we should make all of the other countries in the world speak English as well.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
And if Universal were to open Brotherhood Of The Wolf nationwide, this record could potentially fall pretty quickly. Not that it's necessarily a better movie, it just may be easier to market.
Instead we get a wide release film such as Kung Pow!. Here today, gone tomorrow (make that next week). :)
~Edwin

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The box office receipts for Amelie so far total almost $21 million.
That's nice to hear but it's also a sad statement on the moviegoing public when one considers the box office mega-flop Battlefield Earth made $21.48million.

I'm sure Amelie will eventually pass that, but it's still a little disheartning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.