Amazon kills "Share the Love"

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Terry H, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

From Amazon STL page:

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I'm glad I pre-ordered the Warners Gangsters & Classic Comedies when I did. The STL on those purchases made these incredibly cheap.

I guess it was only a matter of time before Amazon stopped this. With free shipping on many of these items their margins were probably non-existent on many titles that were already heavily discounted.

Steve

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    It will likely reduce my purchases from Amazon. That extra 10% was usually just right to make Amazon the price winner on a lot of pre-orders. Otherwise, DDD or others will often win out. Too bad.

4. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I find it to be a mistake on their part. Oh well.

5. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Exactly. The number of orders I make with them will definitely be going down. Still, though, I was planning on not buying as many DVDs period since I have so many unwatched.

I hope that Deep Discount DVD won't look as this as a reason to not have their 20% off sales.

Neil

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Neil, those are my exact thoughts to the letter also.

the extra 10% coupled with the free shipping made a lot of orders more enticing-especially on large box sets.
    the other reason i liked to go with Amazon, in the area of boxed sets, was that they tended to arrive in better shape than when i've ordered from DDD (however the last 20% off sale was a big exception as everything came in in excellant shape).

i'm glad i got in a few last sets under the wire, including S2 of Twilight Zone.
    just wish i'd known it was going bye bye before i went on the road for three weeks as i would have tried to get in a few more orders.

looks like a good reason to hold off on a lot more potential purchases until June rolls around and (fingers crossed) another DDD sale.

7. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Is Amazon having money trouble. Now they have a big letter on their home page offering "Amazon Prime" service for $79 year! Basically this gives you free 2 day shipping regardless of the order cost.

Are people really that desperate to get all their orders that quick? I'm perfectly happy with the free shipping for orders over $25 which usually isn't that slow if the item is in stock.

I just don't understand this strategy. They even claim to lose money on this in the short term.

8. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

Man, this sucks BIG TIME![​IMG]

I've been buying dvds almost exclusively at amazon due to the amount of "love" I've been getting from the dvdtalk share the love community. In fact, I usually just check my STL page and make my purchasing desicions there. Now that the page is empty I find that amazon has indeed lost its edge over competitors such as DDD (a site whith which I have had order problems with in the past and has probably the worst customer support ever). I hope they realize that this is a mistake and they reinstate the program asap...

9. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I think that everyone seems to think that companies like Amazon exist solely for us to purchase product at rock bottom prices. Actually, they are a business, and there goal is to MAKE money. I never used STL at all, but I would guess that when Amazon implemented STL, it was to encourage a customer to have their friends or family also order from Amazon. I don't think that they intended to have websites post the deals for others to use. Although there was nothing in the program that stated that you COULDN'T do that, I don't believe that was the INTENT of the program.

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

And part of being a business is customer satisfaction. I used to love amazon before they got so damn huge they didn't have to have competitive prices. It's just too much of a difference, especially on the higher priced sets, when you compare amazon to the online competition. STL often undercut the others by a dollar or two... which was just enough to get me to buy. So the 37 they would have made from me purchasing a copy of POPULAR: Season 2 in a few weeks... well... I suppose deepdiscountdvd will be my stop in a few months when I can pick it up for 35... I guess they're doing me a favor...