What's new

Amazon kills "Share the Love" (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm glad I pre-ordered the Warners Gangsters & Classic Comedies when I did. The STL on those purchases made these incredibly cheap.

I guess it was only a matter of time before Amazon stopped this. With free shipping on many of these items their margins were probably non-existent on many titles that were already heavily discounted.

Steve

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
It will likely reduce my purchases from Amazon. That extra 10% was usually just right to make Amazon the price winner on a lot of pre-orders. Otherwise, DDD or others will often win out. Too bad.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. The number of orders I make with them will definitely be going down. Still, though, I was planning on not buying as many DVDs period since I have so many unwatched.

I hope that Deep Discount DVD won't look as this as a reason to not have their 20% off sales.

Neil

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Neil, those are my exact thoughts to the letter also.

the extra 10% coupled with the free shipping made a lot of orders more enticing-especially on large box sets.
the other reason i liked to go with Amazon, in the area of boxed sets, was that they tended to arrive in better shape than when i've ordered from DDD (however the last 20% off sale was a big exception as everything came in in excellant shape).

i'm glad i got in a few last sets under the wire, including S2 of Twilight Zone.
just wish i'd known it was going bye bye before i went on the road for three weeks as i would have tried to get in a few more orders.

looks like a good reason to hold off on a lot more potential purchases until June rolls around and (fingers crossed) another DDD sale.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Is Amazon having money trouble. Now they have a big letter on their home page offering "Amazon Prime" service for $79 year! Basically this gives you free 2 day shipping regardless of the order cost.

Are people really that desperate to get all their orders that quick? I'm perfectly happy with the free shipping for orders over $25 which usually isn't that slow if the item is in stock.

I just don't understand this strategy. They even claim to lose money on this in the short term.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Man, this sucks BIG TIME!:angry:

I've been buying dvds almost exclusively at amazon due to the amount of "love" I've been getting from the dvdtalk share the love community. In fact, I usually just check my STL page and make my purchasing desicions there. Now that the page is empty I find that amazon has indeed lost its edge over competitors such as DDD (a site whith which I have had order problems with in the past and has probably the worst customer support ever). I hope they realize that this is a mistake and they reinstate the program asap...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I think that everyone seems to think that companies like Amazon exist solely for us to purchase product at rock bottom prices. Actually, they are a business, and there goal is to MAKE money. I never used STL at all, but I would guess that when Amazon implemented STL, it was to encourage a customer to have their friends or family also order from Amazon. I don't think that they intended to have websites post the deals for others to use. Although there was nothing in the program that stated that you COULDN'T do that, I don't believe that was the INTENT of the program.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
And part of being a business is customer satisfaction. I used to love amazon before they got so damn huge they didn't have to have competitive prices. It's just too much of a difference, especially on the higher priced sets, when you compare amazon to the online competition. STL often undercut the others by a dollar or two... which was just enough to get me to buy. So the 37 they would have made from me purchasing a copy of POPULAR: Season 2 in a few weeks... well... I suppose deepdiscountdvd will be my stop in a few months when I can pick it up for 35... I guess they're doing me a favor...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks