What's new

Aluminum foil stuck to oven heating element: Should I be concerned? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My wife in her quest to keep the oven clean while cooking pizza, put a piece of Reynolds Wrap on the ovens floor under the heating element..

Unfortunately some of it stuck to to about a 3" section of it. We tried to gently peel/scrape it off and most of it has come off, but there are still some reminents.

When it first happened I noticed that the section that had the stuff stuck to it was heating up a brighter orange than the rest of the element. That's when I shut off everything until it cooled and and began scraping and cleaning..now I don't see such a bright orange section glowing anymore. It all looks about even colored..however little pieces are still stuck to the element.

Should I be concerned or just let it be.

Curious though, is there a simpler way to take the foil off othre than what we used: SOS pad (gently rubbed off most foil) and a small knife we scraped the big stuff off with.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Alfer

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Alf,
I can't answer your primary question but something to add is you might consider getting your wife a "Pizza Stone". What I've found is that it will cook it evenly and it doesn't let anything drip down the sides and over into your oven unless your have a big problem.

I can't remember where we picked it up but if you want I can find out. I would assume my wife picked one up at one of those gourmet food type parties but I could be wrong. It wasn't really expensive.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yup...we've got a pizza stone, but rarely use it. A lot of these newer Degorno (sp) pizza's always say to cook directly on rock as opposed to the stone, so we end up not using the stone as much.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
use the stone. they work very well, as does the one i have.

the foil will eventually just burn up, if its a small piece.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I use a pizza pan that has holes in the bottom. It's exactly like cooking it on the rack, but a lot less messy. You can find them at most department stores with the cookie sheets.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
I wouldn't worry about the small foil remnants, but I would worry about allowing molten, melting, dripping cheese, sauce, and other food substances getting on the element. That is going to shorten the life of it and create burnt deposits in your oven. Plus, its going to smell bad.

I usually keep a foil lined cookie sheet on the lowest rack. That protects the element AND protects my food from getting burnt on the bottom from the direct heat radiating from the element (it's the same as the broiler element only up-side down).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks