What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: HEAT (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't really say Dave, re: black level. Certainly nothing jumped out at me. Of course I'm using an LCD FP so I'm not really the one to ask.

Just wanted to check back into the thread to re-iterate the point regarding the expansive scenes that are captured in this film. The extra resolution of Blu-ray really breathes life into these scenes. I focused more on this aspect of the film on this last viewing and it really enriched my experience.

- Walter.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, this was a fittingly epic and outstanding review! Thank you. I bought the Blu on day 1 and was able to watch it late the other night up until the end of the shootout scene in the streets.

Of course, I've about worn out my DVD copy, as this film is my favorite film of all time. #1. IMO, I think it's perfect. I can't seen improving any of it, the acting, the cast, the dialog, cinematography, the amazing score, sound, lighting...it's all just amazing.

Thanks again for a review that does the Bluray and this film, justice.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Went through the extras and was interested in how much trouble they went through to CGI in Pacino and De Niro together on the featurette "Pacino and De Niro: The Conversation" just to make it seem like they really were on set together. Wonder how much ILM charged for that...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Dave H /forum/thread/294622/htf-blu-ray-review-heat#post_3629579

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Black levels looked fine on my CRT Sony. Pretty great actually. This film certainly looks different than we've seen it look on home video before.

Anyone else notice the small bits of missing dialogue?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Michael mentioned the missing stuff right in the review, didn't he?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
For the night scenes in HEAT, they used 500-speed Kodak filmstock and also pushed the stock. Push-processing tends to make blacks go a bit milky or grey, so that's probably what you're seeing.

Vincent

Originally Posted by Dave H

I watched this last night and thought it was a solid, film-like transfer.

However, did anyone think the black levels in many of the darker scenes looked a bit washed out or almost hazy dark gray?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/294622/htf-blu-ray-review-heat#post_3625283
Stockholm Syndrome. With therapy, you can be righted :)

Good review though; it makes me curious to rewatch Heat and see how it plays 15 year after first seeing it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't been able to watch the whole film yet, but I have watched about 1/2 of it. Frankly, I'm not impressed with the audio track on this disc. I have my volume set at -30 for this disc. Normally, that would be loud enough for most films, but on this disc the dialogue track is so low at certain points that I couldn't make out what was being said. Cranking it to make the dialogue more audible will make sound effects such as gun shots overly loud. I don't think the audio on this disc is all that well balanced. I've never had so much trouble hearing dialogue on a film as I have had on this one.

Other than the sound, the film is pretty decent.
Edit: I should clarify that I am listening to the lossy DD track, since I'm still using a receiver that doesn't decode lossless codecs. The DolbyTrueHD track may actually be better balanced; however, I'm not able to tell. In spots, the lossy DD track does sound like the dialogue is too low.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Normally, that would be loud enough for most films, but on this disc the dialogue track is so low at certain points that I couldn't make out what was being said. Cranking it to make the dialogue more audible will make sound effects such as gun shots overly loud. I don't think the audio on this disc is all that well balanced. I've never had so much trouble hearing dialogue on a film as I have had on this one.

Edit: I should clarify that I am listening to the lossy DD track, since I'm still using a receiver that doesn't decode lossless codecs. The DolbyTrueHD track may actually be better balanced; however, I'm not able to tell. In spots, the lossy DD track does sound like the dialogue is too low.
It doesn't matter which audio track you're listening to, because the dialogue levels in the film have been that way since the VHS release, exactly as you describe even back then. Both DVD releases had the issue as well, so it's definitely the film's sound mix itself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Cranking it to make the dialogue more audible will make sound effects such as gun shots overly loud. I don't think the audio on this disc is all that well balanced. I've never had so much trouble hearing dialogue on a film as I have had on this one.
I hate going off of memory but I saw Heat in the theater and the gun shot sound effects were so loud that my ears literally hurt the next day. It was like I had been at a concert. I haven't heard this disc but from what you're saying, it seems like it matches the theatrical experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks