What's new

Allman Brothers Live @ the Atlanta Intl Pop Festival (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
Anyone pick this up yet and have a review? Ordered mine on Sunday and can't wait to get it. Here is a link:

Link to Barnes & Noble site for the album (hope this is okay)

Another really good one that I missed recently is a new Buddy Guy album titled Blues Singer which supposedly has a killer acoustic version of the late, great John Lee Hooker's Crawlin' Kingsnake with 2 fairly unknown backup guitarists named B.B. King and Eric Clapton. How'd you like to have that trio sittin' in your listenin' room? ;)

Rounding out my purchase this week is Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live Deluxe Edition. Looks like a great, 2-disc live performance with guys like Johnny Winter, Pinetop Perkins, and Luther Johnson joining in with Muddy himself for some good old downhome blues.

Cheers,
Lin

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lin, from the music angle, this is the real group, all original members, at it's zenith. On the other hand, this is a Sony "dreadbook" release and pisses me off! It ought'a be a hybrid disc! Who knows??? In a few months it might be? I'm waitin' 'fer a bigger fish.;) :)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I'm just happy to see some new stuff from the original crew. We've been promised Live at the Filmore East on SACD for almost a year now and nothing. I think your bigger fish is a tiny little egg right now and a long way off - I just can't wait that long anymore.

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Lin, Check out the new Gov't Mule cd/dvd The Deepest End, 2 cd's and a 3 hour dvd totaling 6 hours of concert from the Mule. Lot's of guest from Bela Fleck & Victor Wooten, Les Claypool, Roger Glover,Jason Newsted, Sonny Landreth, and Bernie Worrell to name a few. Recorded in May in New Orleans all one night, BIG :emoji_thumbsup: in my book.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Someone mentioned the ABB Fillmore East release. Just FYI, I have the DTS 5.1 version and I do not reccommend it - just in case someone is considering buying it. The sound is "muffled" and it just does not sound very good at all. It was one of the first surround discs I bought...back when I assumed anything "surround sound" was high resolution (I'm not knocking DTS 5.1 stuff, most of it sounds real good). Dave

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The SACD of Fillmore and Eat a Peach is due early next year.

I loved Atlanta Pop especially Dreams, which I wish was on Fillmore.

Lin Park

Second Unit
It was about this time last year that the rumor of Fillmore being on SACD in March of '03 started surfacing and that's when I seriously started looking at getting into SACD. Guess this time next year all of the ABB stuff will be slated for SACD release in early '05 (which will actually turn out to be March 3005 when my great, great, great, great ... well you get the idea). ;)

Later.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lin, alot of us have a pet release that's been held up. I've been waiting close to 2 years for the vaporous IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING to materialize. The release dates come and they go. New release dates are announced. It's alot like ping pong, back and forth. So far, history always repeats....

However, vinyl copies of LIVE AT FILMORE EAST have recently hit the market. I think that's a sign the SACD may not be far off??? IMO, vinyl and SACD are aimed at the same market segment to a great extent. Be patient and keep your hopes up. Best wishes!:)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I hear ya Rachael, it's just so frustrating sometimes. Do you think that hi-rez versions of the AC/DC albums are around the corner as well? I saw new vinyl versions of these coming out recently.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lin, as best I can recall AC-DC was on Atlantic which makes them a DVD-A potential. Maybe, we'll see where the Warner Group goes after it's sale. Other than Silverline DVD-A moves so sl-ooooooooow. AC-DC is a very marketable item. They have so many albums, the odds of seeing your favourite one might not be good but if DVD-A proceeds somebody might flick the switch...? ;)

Michael_T

Second Unit
Actually AC-DC is now on Sony. Sony has the rights to every AC-DC except for the last one I think. Over the past year Sony reissued all the AC-DC albums, and then just recently put them all out on vinyl. So SACD could be a possibility.

I don't hold my breath for any SACD release. You really never know what is coming and when. Yes Sony and Universal post "coming soon" releases that never show up - but once they tend to get a FIRM date, it is right on target.

Regarding the Allman Bros at the Atlanta Pop Festival, I probably wouldn't hold out for an SACD - the recording is good and the performance stellar - but it just doesn't seem to be hi-rez worthy in the scheme of things. But then Sony is pretty awful at determining what should and shouldn't be an SACD (although they got it 100% perfect with the Dylan box set SACDs). If I had my way I would suggest that all record companies release everything in some sort of hybrid format, whether it is hybrid SACD or DVD-A + CD like the Flaming Lips recent release. But what do I know... I am just a measley consumer, a blip on their radar of the few people who actually want hi-rez releases of all the music I buy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks