What's new

All you guys with SACDs making me jealous! (1 Viewer)

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
I have a mi-fi system with CD and MP3 only capabilities in my bedroom...i know i'm missing out alot with SACD because i've heard it at a local shop but is it worth myself getting into SACD when i only have 2ch stereo? I don't have much room in here to add anymore speakers...so should i just stick to redbook? Thanks guys

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Khoa, with a good (not necessarily expensive) system, SACD in stereo can sound much better than CD. I have surround-sound capability, but I listen to SACD and DVD-Audio in stereo almost exclusively. I much prefer stereo, and SACD and DVD-Audio generally sound wonderful in stereo. I say generally because as with any format, there are some duds on SACD and DVD-Audio that either suffer from poor-quality master tapes or poor mastering.

If you want to break into SACD, might I suggest you get a universal player that gives you DVD-Audio as well? You didn't state a budget, but the cheapest non-DVD SACD player available now is the Sony SCD-C222ES changer at $500 retail and $350 from authorized mail-order dealers. The 'C222ES is a great player (do a search on the hardware board), but there are cheaper options if that is a factor. Take a look at the Pioneer DV-563A universal player for $180. If DVD-Audio isn't a draw for you, also look at the Sony DVP-NS755V DVD/SACD player. It sells for $250. For more information on the 'C222ES, '563A, and 'NS755V, go to www.crutchfield.com .

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Khoa,
Yes Stereo SACD can be worth it.
But just like redbook, some recordings are not so good.
I have collected well over 250-300 disc's now.
The only thing I hate is having to take the time filling trays of my Sony 222ES five disc changer & ns900V.(I'm to lazy to mess with the jewel cases all the time)
If your in the market for a new player,
Sony has some new combo DVD/SACD 400 disc changers due out
this summer, msrp will be about $400.
They also have a few other ES-non ES players due out.
I just hope they maintain quality SACD playback in that $400
non ES changer.
If it's as good as my ns900V, it will be worth it for our use.
Jerry

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Right now i'm using PSB stratus minis with the c320bee....i don't think NAD makes an SACD player because i really want to use my remote for both the amp and cd player, i hate having multiple remotes. I'll think about it, maybe ask my dealer to lone me an sacd player and try it out for size. ;)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Khoa, I'd be into SACD even if there was no M/C. Stereo is my staple. I dabble with M/C in my theatre but like Keith most of my SACD listening is stereo. There's no substitute for better sources and source components thusly. Best wishes!:)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There's no substitute for better sources and source components thusly
Sure there is! Good speakers and correct positioning.
I also agree that SACD 2ch is worthwile,but multi channel takes the same disks to next level,so even this may not be feasable make sure to get a player that plays multi channel SACD's for possible future readiness.Some of the older player on the used market isn't,but all new ones I believe plays them.[MC]

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lewis, what's the old adage? Garbage in, garbage out! The new one is SACD in, sweet muse out. :)

P.S. - I'm intrested in M/C but I don't think the thang is quite perfected yet, but it's improving.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Multi-channel certainly does sound wonderful. But don't worry too much about 2-channel. I couldn't tell the difference between 2-channel SACD and redbook CD on my high-end system. I decided to stick with redbook CD.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, what's the old adage? Garbage in, garbage out! The new one is SACD in, sweet muse out
You missing the point!SACD won't make a bad recording any better.
My John Coltrane: Blue Train is simply "better" on the recent cd version then on the brand new SACD,this is played on the same player[Denon 2900],I doubt that this would change on a more expensive player.
Yes garbage in/out but it goes both ways.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
P.S. - I'm intrested in M/C but I don't think the thang is quite perfected yet, but it's improving.
I have a feeling you'r objection is purely "artistic" and has no bearing on the technology.
I agree there are some lousy record mixers out there.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lewis, I've had some artistic objections but my main objection is technical. As far as I'm concerned until there are digital connections for M/C music it's not perfected. One ultra expensive Pioneer reciever and the 47Ai don't count! The technology has to be available to everyone. We're living in the stone age of M/C presently.

Using one musty, old Miles Davis album as your example ain't cricket. When you compare newer, better recordings, SACD will win against CD a very large percentage of the time. SACD competes well against vinyl in my experience. Short records with wide grooves can beat SACD but longer records can't always when I've compared.

I've got KIND OF BLUE too. Sound quality-wise it's nothig to get excited about. Performance-wise is another story. BTW, I've never had a CD of it. I bought the SACD because my record of it was getting rather worn, and because at the point it came out I was hungry for SACD's to test drive. Best wishes!:)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
When you compare newer, better recordings, SACD will win against CD a very large percentage of the time.
Granted,however the source isn't as indicative of overall sound of a system,as the speakers and it's interaction of the room it resides.
For example: If the author of the thread would upgrade to Magnepan speakers,and make sure they positioned right he would notice far more [positive] difference,then if he bought a top notch SACD player.I hope this makes it clearer?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:b Lewis, my brain go stuck on the wrong BLUE THANG! I haven't got that Coltrane yet, but my example was fair. It might work with BLUE TRAIN too. Before I moved last fall, I was playing SACD's on a stereo wih a pair of Paradigm Mini-Monitors and a modest sealed-enclosure Atlantic Technology sub. SACD sounded obviously better on that system same as my bigger system. I don't think you need world beater speakers to hear the advantages of SACD over CD.

It's my impression that Khoa might be a teenager living at his parent's home...? His system is in his bedroom. I presume he can't have really bad-ass speakers presently...?
Say Hay Khoa!? :) SACD improves even modest stereo systems IMO.

IMO, analog connection for SACD and DVD-A were obsolete the day they were introduced. They only work perfectly well for large, full-range speakers, the type most people don't have most especially in the centre postion. I don't see any tenable arguments to contradict this position. 6 analog connections were not mandated because of any audio advantage.

Hey Lee, do I get the GOOD AUDIO SEAL OF APPROVAL?;)

Best wishes guyz! :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I haven't got that Coltrane yet, but my example was fair. It might work with BLUE TRAIN too.
Not really, both the CD layer,and the SACD layer "suffers" from the "in your face" sound stage presentation,compared to the last CD[Ultimate}version.This is no doubt has to do with the mastering and possible equipment differences at that stage,and not playback formats.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
KeithH:

Thx for the Crutchfield tip re the DV-563A in your post #2. Finally a reasonably priced universal player.

Is it curious that a relatively noteworthy player such as this (the first major brand name universal player under $250) that supposedly hits streets July 14 (according to Crutchfield's site) has not been reviewed by SGHT or S&V yet?

I look forward to Forum feedback on this unit.

Paul

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I bought the Sony DVP-NS755V DVD/SACD player at BB in the beginning of June. It was on clearance for $190 (normally $250).
Just a heads-up on it. I know that CC also carries that player, but it hadn't gone on clearance from them yet.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
well i have the stratus minis in my room and the goldis in the living room...i could try out both! =)would you still consider these lo-fi?
testing at a local dealer is unfair, i listened to the new 8200 THX Ultra 2 system with mp3s and it sounds REALLY FREAKING good but i guess that system will make anything sound good...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Forget the silly speaker argument Khoa! Sorry we started it. That's the way it goes with internet treads sometimes...:) Did you ever test drive a player?:)

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Not yet, i haven't had the time....my cd rack just fell off the wall...i'm really pissed right now ARGH

and who said about speaker argument, what? i'm thoroughly confused anyways i don't really care...i just wanted to know if SACD was worth it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks