What's new

All Things Equal, Which Sub: PW2200, Or STF-3? (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
I think I've got my sub choice narrowed down to two, so kindly consider this: of the two, and the two only, which would you spend your money on, and please explain your rationale, where possible: Paradigm's newest version of their PW-2200, or Hsu's STF-3 (comparitive prices are within $100CDN). Usage is 100% HT, room is 30x10.5 ft, eight foot ceilings (roughly 2500 cubic feet). Room opens to a small work area and staircase (click my sig for pics of the room, and current sub placement). Presently using an Axiom EP-175 (10"); not enough slam for my liking. Other speakers used: Axiom M60, VP-150, QS8. I'm leaning toward the Hsu model simply because it will physically fit my room more easily.
(The reason SVS is not on my list is because I'm in Canada, and once their subs cross the border, they are no longer as great a value as either of the other two models. BTW, Hsu has recently established a distributorship here).
Just to further complicate the matter, I'm all ears if anyone cares to make a case for Hsu's VTF-3MK2.
I really appreciate any help you might give. Thanks, and cheers.

DS.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You can read my review of the STF-3 in my hotlink. I imagine the new PW2200 with the 400 watt amp and revised woofer would probably exceed the STF-3 in performance below 30 Hz. Paradigm has always been a top value in subs for Canadian residents and the new 2200 really looks killer. It has always performed at/near the top of Nousaine's list. You could always buy both and return the loser; Hsu offers a 30 day return guarantee. I don't know what the P-digm return policy is.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
OK, if you insist...

Without knowing the actual prices you'd pay - STF-3, then VTF-3MK2, then PW-2200. Now, you want a reason or two? From the relatively small amount of listening I've done w/ the HSUs (and keep that part in mind - it's really pertinent here) the STF-3 seems to deliver much of the benefit of a VTF-3 at noticeably lower price (or at least it used to be). If you do want the configurability and lowest extension and have the $$$ then spring for the VTF-3. The PW-2200 does a very credible job and is really a very good unit, but a new one would actually cost me more here than either Hsu. And finally, the #1 reason why I'd recommend the Hsu over the Pdigm? Because I want a VTF-3!

OK - truth in advertising time. I currently have the PW-2200. Yes, I did get it locally from B&M w/ full warranty. No, I did not have to pay the going price - the deal that I stumbled onto was what grabbed me and so I tried the 2200. And I did not give it back. It did take me a while to dial in just right, but that's mostly because "I are a village idiot". It does both HT & music and fills both well. It can rattle the dishes in the cabinets way out in the kitchen when we're listening in "the big room" and don't even realize that it's pumping LFE at that level. It may not blast you out of your seat like a cranked SVS, but I'm satisfied with balance and I don't have the PW-2200 out in the middle of the room as a bass icon.:D

If I was buying today, and knowing I'd never, ever be able to get the same deal that I did on that PW2200, I'd probably get the HSU (for less than the 2200). And I'd probably spring for the VTF-3 so I could have the opportunity to tune it, etc. That's just me, though, and the deals that you can get may change your viewpoint just like the deal I got on the Paradigm. I'm not at all sorry that I can't puff out my chest & say that I have an SVS or a HSU. Besides being a village idiot, I'm also a proud bottom-dwelling scum sucker, and the very significant difference in price for the deal I got just makes the 2200 sound that much sweeter (and makes writing the tuition check just that much easier).

The best part for you? You absolutely cannot lose on this one. They are all excellent choices. Good luck!

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Ed and Tim,

I appreciate your contributions. I think I'm going to wind up with one or the other of the Hsu models (I'm fortunately able to demo each in my home, or so I'm told). The PW-2200 looks like a fine candidate for my needs and budget, but believe it or not, the slimmer widths of the Hsu models are playing a big part in my decision (it's a real game of inches in my basement). I hope to have something in about four to six weeks.
Here's the part of Tim's post that made me smile:

Can't wait for a new sub, in that case! Cheers, guys!

DS.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I gave the STF-3 a high rating in the $600 box class for its relatively small footprint and narrow width.

If you run it on a hard floor, I advise small black furniture cups under each spike, otherwise it will buzz and walk around at high volumes. Other Hsu owners opt for a throw rug under the sub; that's hardly an elegant floor interface solution, but to each his own, I guess.

Good luck with whatever brand/model you choose. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Thanks for your kind words, Ed. The local Hsu vendor has contacted me by e-mail, informing me of the units' current availability. As I said, I hope to arrange an in-home demo of both the STF-3, and the VTF-3MK2.
As for the issue of cups and spikes, my basement is carpeted with a cheap berber, installed over top the previous, and also cheap, carpet (I couldn't afford to spring for underpad in my poor-man's home-theater room). I don't imagine the Hsu will be taking a walk once I spike it down.
Thanks again, sir. Cheers.

DS.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Dave, I stumbled on this thread as I am also considering the STF-3 or the PW-2200. I'm in Montreal and I can get a very good deal on the PW-2200, a tad less than the CDN price for an STF-3. I currently have an STF-2 that I will move to the rear of my room for secondary subwoofer purposes and plan to place the STF-3 or PW-2200 in the front of the room (corner loaded).

Which sub did you end up with and why? How did your in-home auditions of the HSU subs go? Did you get a good deal on the HSU subs from the local distributor?

Thanks

http://207.107.210.136/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=8
My DVD Collection

don't forget that by the summer you will be able to **upgrade** the STF3 that will put that sub in a different category!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks