What's new

Alison Krauss SACDs Stereo or Multichannel (1 Viewer)

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
I can't seem to find this information anywhere. If they are in multichannel how are the mixes? Thanks in advance.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There is an article in last months Sound and Vision that mentioned a new M/C SACD from a recent live performance.

The title escapes me at the moment.

Best Regards,

BL

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I'm really interested in a surround presentation so I will stay away from stereo SACDs. I believe I heard something about a live recording of Krauss and U. Station to be released on SACD in the near future. Since I allready own New Favorite on CD maybe I will wait for the live release.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
She performs a couple of songs in 5.1 on Appalachian Journey with Yo Yo Ma, Mark O'Connor, Edgar Meyer & James Talyor.

Any of her three titles on SACD are outstanding. Not sure about the collection but Forget About It & New Favorite are hybrids.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, if you are a fan of Alison Krauss, get Now That I've Found You: A Collection on SACD. It is excellent. It is a hybrid stereo SACD.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gary, SACD stands for Super Audio CD and is a higher-resolution format than CD. SACD is a digital format that uses a different encoding method than CD. SACDs are 5" optical discs like CDs, but the different encoding method used with SACD leads to great frequency response and dynamic range than what the CD offers. While CDs use Pulse Code Modulation or PCM as the digital codec, SACDs use Direct Stream Digital or DSD. The CD is described as being encoded in 16-bit/44.1-kHz PCM, while the SACD is encoded in 1-bit/2.8224-MHz DSD. Some say that the significantly higher sampling frequency (2.8224 MHz) renders SACD an analog-sounding format in a digital package. In other words, SACD produces far more snapshots of the music per unit time, which creates a more analog-like waveform than what is achieved with CD. In short, SACDs sound better than CDs.
Like the CD format, Sony and Philips worked together to develop the SACD format. Sony's original motivation in developing DSD technology was creating a digital format that would be of suitable resolution for archiving aging analog masters owned by its Columbia record label. For more on SACD go to:
http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/
In particular, click on "Sony & SACD" on this site.
NP: Creedence Clearwater Revival Cosmo's Factory 20-bit K2 CD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks