What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection problems?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I just bought a 52 inch HDTV last month. So now instead of catching up on my "to watch" pile I'm going back and rewatching other stuff on the big screen ;). Anyway...I was watching Frenzy last night and decided to watch the docu from the bonus features. I encountered what I interpret as the doc being misflagged for widescreen TVs. In the beginning the interview images fill up the screen but when a film clip is in the doc it appears letterboxed, then fills up the screen. When we return to the interviews they show up with gray bars on the sides until they recover seconds into it and fill up the screen again.

The dvd player is set to 16x9 through the composite outputs. I've watched non-16x9 features and the gray bars are consistent and do not flip around like on this particular documentary.

Has anyone else come across this on the Frenzy (or any other Hitch box) documentaries??

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's 4x3 flagged on my copy. The only thing worthy of notice is that the clips of the opening credits are heavily windowboxed.

Since it's 4x3 video, the clips will be non-16x9 LBX while interviews are 4x3 fullscreen.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jeff,

Could it be your TV-set (or projector?) adjusting to black bars? If it's in "auto-zoom" (or whatever that is called) it could behave exactly as you described.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks