What's new

Alex Zanardi loses both legs in race in Germany! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Even among this week's other events, this is horrible.
Alex will be missed as a racer but thank God he is alive.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Oh my God!!!
I hadn't heard this. That's horrible. Obviously it gets lost in the current events, but in a "normal" week this would be about the worst thing I could have imagined.
I almost feel bad for being so bothered by this news, what with the other horrors going on, but I am.
No matter how many bad things have happened, they don't make the next one "less bad". Pretty wretched week just keeps it's crappy slope.

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
Crap.
frown.gif
I heard he was in a serioud accident but didn't know the extent until just now.
------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
My goodness. Can nothing go right this week? First the WTC, the plane crash in Mexico, the Amtrack accident, and now this.
After two championship seasons where everything seemed to just go Zanardi's way, my father and I had commented several times that it seems his luck had just run out. We never imagined that this would happen.
------------------

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I was listening to the race on the radio yesterday morning during the accident. I was looking forward to the race as a chance to try to get my mind off current events. News didn't come out for a couple of hours, but from the reaction of the commenators it was obviously not good.
I am grateful that Alex is alive, and I am hopeful that he can have a full life. He may even race again, there is some sportscar racing that can accomodate handicapped drivers.
I believe that AZ can attack life as a whole the way he did his racing career, and have a long and fruitful life. My thoughts are with him and his family.
A few hours after Zanardi's accident, my wife found out that her grandfather had died.
This week sucks. I've been crying too much.
I believe that Zanardi was racing with a large American flag on the sidepods of his car.
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 16, 2001 at 09:32 AM]

mark_d

Second Unit
I was really looking forward to seeing the CART guys over here this coming weekend, now I've been put right off. Is this a bad thing? I want to support the new Rockingham facility but I think I'm reaching breaking point with regards drivers (and onlookers) being killed/maimed.
I know we've come a long way in recent years safety wise, and I know the price many drivers and fans paid in years gone by, but I'm losing my enthusiasm for it.
Am I lilly livered? Should I attend the Rockingham meet? Alex knew he was playing a dangerous game, and I'm certain he wouldn't want people to stop following the sport...
I'm torn.
Mark

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
This is just sad. Zanardi was one of my favorite CART drivers and he was a special talent. He has my sympathies.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
A perfectly horrible end to a perfectly horrible week.
At least he is alive. I just saw a full speed replay of the crash and have to say it is the most violent racing accident I've ever seen, and that includes several fatal accidents.
My prayers to Alex, a truly nice and well-liked guy, and his family. A very small comfort but I also saw an interview with Zanardi where said, at the start of this season, that he was financially independent, had achieved great success in racing, and was wondering whether he should attempt a comeback at all when he would be happy just staying with his family. Knowing his personality, I think he will adapt and rise above this, and be as irrepresible as ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks