What's new

Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha??? (1 Viewer)

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
What's the deal with this movie .... is it ever going to be released? Is there no interest in this film?

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
... and what about Haruki Kadokawa's Heaven and Earth. That was another great Samurai film that I'd love to see.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is a Fox property. I don't recall any dicussion about it in the most recent (still a while ago) chat with Peter Staddon.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Peter Staddon said that it was farmed out to another studio (implying perhaps Criterion) but he did not say which. The latest Jon Mulvaney pronouncement was "no current plans" or words to that effect. Don't hold your breath for a R1 release.

The good news: it has been out for some time in Regions 2 & 3. If you must have it now just buy it from Korea or France or... All have English subs AFAIK. The U.K. edition has subtitles for the hearing impaired instead of normal ones. Not sure about the other editions.

Ted

P.S. My favorite Kurusawa film as well. I'm still hoping for a Criterion, but we'll see how long my patience lasts...

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, it's been confirmed here that Criterion are working on Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, and Peter Staddon said that Kagemusha would be released under the same arrangement as Dolls (and Altman's 3 Women, for what it's worth), so... :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I bought the region 2 UK version about 2 months ago becuase I got tired of waiting.
Would LOVE a Criterion treatment of the extended cut :emoji_thumbsup:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Posted in the News section on Criterion's website:
New Lucas and Coppola Interviews to Appear on Kagemusha
Criterion's soon-to-be-announced DVD edition of Akira Kurosawa's epic Kagemusha will feature exclusive new video interviews with filmmakers George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola. Lucas and Coppola discuss how they contributed to the production of Kagemusha and the experience of working with the legendary Japanese director, a longtime inspiration to both men.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I hadn't even known that Kagemusha was going to be released, so this is just great news. I wish Criterion would two different film scholars on the same commentary track. Since they often work with Donald Richie, I would love to see them pair Richie with a bigger fan of Kagemusha and just duke it out on the track.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:D I'm a very happy camper....even though Kurosawa thought of it as a "dress rehearsal" for RAN I still wish to see this.
The few clips I have seen of this film look visually striking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks