Akira Kurosawa's Dreams - anyone own?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jenna, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

I came across this DVD in BestBuy the other day and thought I'd try to find a review or opinion about it on the forum. Has anyone seen this DVD? Is it worth a purchase or a pass?

This is the description on the case:

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That description about sums it up. Transfer is probably about as good as it's going to get.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It's a decent transfer, but not one of my favorite Kurosawa films by a long shot. If you're looking to get into Kurosawa, then look elsewhere first (Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran, etc.). To describe "Dreams" as visionary is overstating it by a mile. It's a very minor work.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I agree its one of the least of his works.Its beautifully filmed, but its not a movie that really is supposed to make sense. Its supposed to be like a dream.

To me, The Tunnel is the best story of the lot.

I have 2 copies (my g/f bought me one not realizing I already had it) and would gladly give it to u if u really want to see it.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

6. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Get the Japanese version. It's R0 and comes in a nice keepcase to boot.

And I happen to love the film. A tad hamhanded at times and certainly not a top jewel in the Kurosawa crown, but it's a lot better than what its reputation has engendered.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

8. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I haven't seen the DVD, but I've seen the film, and it's one of only a handful I'd describe as nearly rapturous. I've seen a number of Kurosawa's pictures, and this is my secondmost favorite (after High and Low, a very different picture in a less-than-stellar non-anamorphic DVD, I'm afraid). You can't approach this film with what Roger Ebert most laments about today's world: irony. You can't expect sharp, hard edges and obvious intellectualism, nor a strong directorial comment on what unfolds. It's a simple, beautiful, pure piece of short-form storytelling in a long form confluence of theme -- a cinematic fairy tale with such an eye for both beauty and horror that it dazzles the adult heart. The uncertainty of the human spirit amidst nevertheless hopeful endurance is its core. Wrap yourself around that uncritically and perhaps you'll find yourself moved to tears, as was I.

For those who are modernists through and through and find the painterly ease and soft storytelling focus of Kurosawa's work here off-putting, there's some value in ...

seeing Martin Scorsese as Vincent Van Gogh

... however the rest of the film plays. [​IMG]

9. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I made a blind buy...and have watched 3 times already. Worth a look

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thnaks for this and just bought it

[​IMG]