What's new

Airport Terminal Pack (1 Viewer)

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Any fans of Universal's "Airport" disaster film franchise? I sure was, and caught wind of a DVD box set containing all the films to be released. Sure enough, its out, and called the Airport Terminal Pack---it includes the original Arthur Hailey novel based Airport (with DD and DTS sound!), Airport 1975, Airport 77 and The Concorde: Airport 79. What has stopped me from purchasing the set yet is that aside from the first film, all the others are in 1.0 mono. Anyone own this yet?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Why should that stop you when this is the original sound and the way they were released in the theaters. I own it and its a great set.

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies, guys....sorry, didnt realize there was a thread for this already. I'll have to buy the pack and see for myself.

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
"Why should that stop you when this is the original sound and the way they were released in the theaters. I own it and its a great set."

Well, Randy, I'll tell you why that would stop me....I understand thats the way these were released in theaters, but once watching the original Airport in DTS, I think I would be a little dissapointed listening to the remaining films with everything coming from the center channel. I avoid my Amityville Horror DVD for the same reason; I hate listening to a DVD soundtrack from the center channel position.

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Ben,

I was just about to begin a new thread about this topic exactly----what does "TWO CHANNEL MONO" mean? I have some DVDs with this moniker attached to them, but I always thought Mono was ONE channel, hence 1.0...what is two channel mono and how is it mono if it's two channels?

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I believe two channel mono is the same signal coming from the left and right front speakers, no information from the center channel. To my ears sounds the same as 1.0 mono, but YMMV.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Mono means one discrete channel of recorded information, stereo means 2 discrete channels of information, etc. Two channel mono means that the one channel of discrete information is duplicated in 2 channels. That would normally mean the same (original) mono soundtrack would play out of the right and left stereo channels of your system. Of course, even with a single channel mono soundtrack, your receiver/decoder could probably make it appear in all 5/7.1 channels of your system, but dual mono makes it a little nicer for those who don't have a more sophisticated HT sound system.

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Craig, but when I play "2.0 MONO" soundtracks, ALL the information comes only from the center channel...if you are saying that "stereo mono" (2.0) or some such signals should be duplicated through left and right front stereo speakers, why am I hearing everything from the center?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Scott: is your decoder set up to default to some type of Dolby processing, even emulated? That would make most of the sound come from the CC in this case. At least, that's what I've found, though PL II can help some. I suspect you've got some Dolby processing going on.

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

When I try and run Pro Logic II when playing mono DVDs, my receiver wont let me....it says "NOT AVAILABLE WITH THIS SIGNAL" across the receiver's screen...I cant even change the DSP soundfields...the only thing I can do is play the DVD in stereo mode, which sounds like ass. I would rather it come from the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks