What's new
World Wide Stereo

AHHH Bass Management on a Sony Receiver (1 Viewer)

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:

I finally got a hold of the manual for my 3 year old Sony STR-DE835 receiver. I recently purchased a Paradigm PW2200 sub, so I hooked it up using an RCA cable for the sub out jack on the receiver to one of the Low Level inputs labeled “LFEin/Sub-in. My concern was bass management and setting of the other speakers. I have read in this forum were some people set their speakers to large or small (or a combinations), and if you set your speakers to small you should pin your subs cross over to the highest level, so that it doesn’t interfere with the receivers’ cross over. In the receiver manual it recommends keeping all of the speakers set to large (even if using smaller book shelf speakers) and setting the subs crossover to the highest point.

From what I can gather from the forum, you should only set the crossover to the highest point if you set the rest of the speakers to small, and if your speakers are set to large than you set the subs crossover. Am I correct in assuming that the receiver cross over is effective on speakers set to large and the sub cross over is effective on speakers set to large (this seems to be the opposite case in the receivers manual). Am I right out to lunch on this on. Does the LFE input on the sub bypass the subwoofers internal crossover?

I believe that the cross over is fixed on the receiver as I can’t set the cross over on any of the speakers that are set to small. The only problem is that I don’t know what that cross over point is.

My mains and rears are Boston Acoustics A70T (frequency response 45-20,000 Hz), and my center channel is a Paradigm CC-70.

Cheers..John

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I cant help you with everything but I am pretty sure that the reciever's crossover frequency is 120 hz. Also it is probably a pretty gentle slope, something like 6 db per octave.

Mark

Greg.E

Auditioning
I have a 5 year old 555 ES model and the cross-over is fixed at 100 Htz for all channels when the "small-speaker" selection is chosen.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Strange, I have a 4 year old 333 ES and the crossover is adjustable from 40hz to 200hz in 10hz increments for all channels (when set to small of course). They must have changed that at some point after your 555 ES came out.
The Sony non-ES models seem to be a little shy on bass management options.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I have a STR-DE675 and the bass management blows. I can get 160 Hz. bass out of my subwoofer (max low pass setting) even when LARGE speakers are set. I bet if I ran my sub on a full-range amp, I would get 300 Hz. out of it!!!

I will have a proper receiver or preamp someday, and I can do whatever I want. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks