What's new

Advise me on HT speakers (I know this is asked all the time, but...) (1 Viewer)

altan

Stunt Coordinator
This may sound crazy. You may think I'm insane. However, I need new speakers for my home theater and I just do not have the time to go and listen to a bunch.

My left M&K SX-7 bit the dust this weekend. It's all fuzzy sounding. I believe it was from Star Wars Episode II's extreme bass, but that's another story.

If I were to perform my typical research, I would have new speakers for about 2 months. As I wrote, I neither have the time and my existing one is blown!

I've set the price target around $2,500, although I'd love to spend less. I'd like to get a new 5.1 system -- my previous system wasn't well matched (M&K L&R, M&K VX7 sub, Bose C, LS, RS).

Is there a set of speakers that is commonly highly regarded and in this price range? I've heard good things about Paradigm (reference series), Totem. Nobody talks much about M&K...

For what it's worth my HT room is 13x25 feet. The projector screen is on the 13 foot wall. I've got a Yamaha 5240 receiver.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

... Altan

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
For $2500, here is what I would do. All other posters feel free to disagree.

Rocket by Onix Package #3: $1799
RS550 Mains
RSC200 Center
RSS300 Surrounds

SVS 20-39 PCi subwoofer: $599

This puts you at $2400, with shipping you will be in the $2500 ballpark. Plus, it will sound GREAT. If you want to spend a little more you could go to a Rocket package that have the RS750 for the fronts or upgrade to a SVS PC-Plus sub.

Just my 2 cents.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Altan,
I don't know much about the Rocket speakers that Adam mentioned but I have Paradigm Reference speakers and they sound so nice for music and HT. I have heard so many great things about SVS subs as mentioned above and hope to upgrade my sub soon.

altan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the thoughts.

Matthew, which specific paradigm reference speakers do you have?

Adam, I'll look into the rockets.

Anybody else?

Thanks again

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I can't comment on any of the internet direct companies(besides SVS) but Klipsch makes some of the absolute best speakers for HT.
The RF-3II, RC-3II, and RS-3II can be found for under $1500(cheaper online, obviously). I haven't found speakers to match their dynamic capabilities near their price range, that's why they make such excellent HT speakers. www.crazyeddie.com has the lowest prices I've never looked up on them but I don't know if they're an authorized dealer. There's a dedicated forum for Klipsch speakers at www.klipsch.com if you're interested.
Sub wise, I'd go with the SVS 20-39PC-Plus for $825 plus shipping. You have your choice of 20hz or 16hz tuning with this sub, and it's one of the most potent subs I've heard at any price. It's a sub that can play the low frequencies with authority that makes HT so fun. Check it out at:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pcplus_20-39.htm

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I'll second the Axiom suggestion but with a SVS for sub.. I have the Axiom M60ti with VP150 and I can't be happier with it.

altan

Stunt Coordinator
Any thoughts about the Paramdigm

-Studio 20's
-Studio CC
-Studio ADP
-PW2200

?

... Altan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
having spent significant time in the nyc area, i'm of the mindset that somethings got to be mighty damned good and unique in order for one to pay retail. there's another thread going around discussing such matters with respect to the Paradigms. Myself I think they're a nice speaker but not something that i'd pay list for. However, if you're close to Canada, you just might find the trip up there to buy them could save you a bundle.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
If I were you I wouldn't go one anyones opinion when it comes to speakers. I would take the time to take everyones opinions, find your local seller, and take a listen at all of them. Then make your pick. I think this is the only way. I know a few of the online speaker brands (diva,HTD,etc) unless you know someone who has em, you won't be able to listen.
I just hate people making such hasty decisions when it comes to HT gear, and I am just a rookie with about a year into it. Its cheaper in the end to get what you want now, instead of next year saying "wonder if I could of done better" Or, like I advised in a similar, if 2 grand doesnt mean that much to you, balls to the wall man.
As for opinions, I have listened to several brands, and have always ended back up with klipsch, some people love em, some loathe them. They just sound natural to MY ears. The only opinion I need is my own.
My 2 cents. Happy whats left of thanksgiving,
Brian

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Check out these other brands few talk about here:
KEF: very accurate, & reserved sounding, British speaker. Very popular in the U.K. The BBC uses them for monitoring purposes: http://www.kef.com/kefamerica/home.html
Vandersteen: underappreciated American brand, sort of a Yankee B&W :). Make sure you check out their sophisticated subwoofers. And Vandersteen is not some young/inexperienced Internet dealer either: http://vandersteen.com/ I almost bought these instead of my Bostons, but my car's leaking oil pump said otherwise!: http://vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html
Mirage: Their upper line is kinda pricey, but their other series still sounds excellent (but lacks the very elegant "OM" series' styling): http://miragespeakers.com/first/index.htm
JBL "TiK" series: You WON'T find these at Best Buy, trust me! And they look beautiful, but you might want to consult the wife first--they don't look "normal"........:
http://jbl.com/home/products/series.asp?SerId=TIK
Personally, I find Paradigms to sound too dry. If you like M&Ks you might not like their sound either. And Klipsch's "Reference" line doesn't have the lively high-end I grew up with. To me, they are still very efficient but now sound sort of bland with a blaring midrange and stifled high frequencies, as if someone stuck a cotton ball down the tweeter horn's throat. And I think the RF-7 model has lousy bass for such a large speaker.
Though be careful using audiophile types of speakers for hometheater (KEF or Vandersteen for example); they sound great with music, but with HT might sound sort of "blah" and are easier to burn out with loud movie soundtracks featuring wide dynamic ranges.
LJ

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you know, i was just thinking that maybe you ought to give some serious thought as to what specifically caused your speaker to blow since, if it's an underpowered amp, you'll wind up doing it again.

KeithR

Second Unit
If you liked the M&Ks, why not stick with them?

You might just buy 3 150s for the front, and stick with your rears and sub to start...of course, you can get an entire 850 set for the price you want with appropriate discount if you prefer...

I went the 150 route, and will upgrade rears and sub later...i mean, then i have no reason to upgrade for now

Just some ideas,

KeithR

you can email me offline if you have questions btw...

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The size of room your gear is in Altan I'd advise to maybe up the power as the Yam 5240 might be clipping too much to effectively play in such a large room. You stated that your room is 13' by 25' (let us assume an 8' ceiling and you're talking 2600 cubic feet, very close to THX Ultra standards meaning most likely your AVR might blow the next set's tweeter as well) you might need to sink a little of your budget into an AVR or separates of greater power as well.

altan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all for the responses! Sorry for the late reply.

I spent some time listening and really liked the paradigms (Studio/60). Speakers certainly are very individual and each individual likes his or her own speakers!

For what it's worth, I personally really disliked the Klipsch Reference III (3Rxxx?). I guess I'm just one of those people that do not like the horns.

I thought the paradigms were sweet!

... Altan

Dave Goff

Agent
Just an idea. Find one replacement for your blown speaker even if used or refurbished and take the two months to listen and buy what you really want.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend some brands that don't get discussed a lot here- Tannoy Saturn series, Kef's (Q series) as mentioned before and JMLab (Chorus or Cobalt series). The Tannoy's and Kef's are the opposite of the Klipsch's- much less aggressive sounding and more "natural" IMHO.
Cheers,
Mike

Chu Gai offers some very good advice. Determine why the M&K failed. I think that speaker should have handled at least 200 W, with an operating range of 50 W to 200 W. I'm also pretty sure that they are 4 ohm speaker. As Chu suggests, if the speaker is underpowered by the amp, you'll have the same problem with a new speaker at some point.

You should also see if M&K will repair the speaker for you. Depending on whether you registered with M&K as original owner or subsequent owner, the speaker may be covered for up to 10 years.

altan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I'll contact M&K.

My receiver is actually a Yamaha HTR-5250, which is 100 watts per channel. I believe it is a real 100 watts. The spec is

MAIN, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 ohms...100W + 100W
MAIN, 1kHz, 0.09% THD, 8 ohms...110W + 110W

Seems like that should be enough (?). Unless, I was using these little speakers for a room that was too large. I never, however, had the attenuator on the receiver more than 1/2 way...

... Altan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks