What's new

Adv of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn) in LA! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Adventures of Robin Hood
You lucky dogs, I didn't even know there was a surviving print!!! I'm getting on our local revival people :)
Old Town Music Hall
140 Richmond St., El Segundo
(1938). No role ever suited Errol Flynn more: the leaping, green-clad benevolent outlaw, merry men at his side, Maid Marian at his breast. Flynn, Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score and the Warners stock company (Olivia de Havilland, Claude Rains, Basil Rathbone, Alan Hale, Patric Knowles, Eugene Pallette) keep it fresh and bright as a sunny afternoon in Sherwood Forest. Produced by Hal Wallis, who supervised two directors: William Keighley on the exteriors, and Michael Curtiz (Keighley's replacement) on the sets and soundstages.
Apr. 5: 8:15 p.m.
Apr. 6: 2:30 p.m.; 8:15 p.m.
Apr. 7: 2:30 p.m.
Tickets: Box office: 310-322-2592.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
A superb adventure film with one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) sword fight in screen history. -Mike

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone knows when this Robin Hood version (with Errol Flynn) will eventually appear on DVD ?? I've been waiting for this one... o and Ivanhoe also ;)

Brandt

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I heard that the studio (Warner?) started a $250,000 restoration project last year that would culminate in a DVD release in 2003. Anyone confirm this?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB announced this title for restoration and then a DVD release in 2003. (65th Anniv!)

I hope their Technicolor re-combining technology has gotten better since Gone With The Wind wasn't done very well.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
I can live with 2003 for the dvd release (can't do anything about it anyway !), now I only hope they will also release all those other medieval films like Ivanhoe and Knights of the Round Table, I just love that kind of stuff ;)
They just don't make those anymore...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I believe MGM did the GWTW restoration, and these are the same geniuses that did Dr. Zhivago and Citizen Kane working on it. Can't WAIT!

My friend went last night. He said the theater was small, but they play a REAL old time orchestral movie organ before hand, and showed period shorts before the movie, including some Laurel&Hardy!

Man, I wanna go!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
John Lowry DID say that film-resolution restoration will be possible with his company in the future...so this may be one of the first of them.

Universal is having Cinesite "Cineon" restore The Man Who Knew Too Much and To Kill A Mockingbird, so this may be a trend.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Jeff, this movie played in Philly as part of the Warner Bros. 75th anniversary festival in 1998 and last year was shown at the Colonial. I have no idea what the Colonial's print was like, but the print at the WB festival was very good. Only on occasion did sections appear to mis-register (as a result of the different negatives shrinking at different rates).

Neil

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to thank Jeff for alerting me to this. I saw it this afternoon, and enjoyed myself. The huge Wurlitzer organ is a sight to behold and to hear, and the print was very nice (the organist let us all know beforehand that it was a restored 35 mm print). I love this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks