What's new

3D Additional 3-D Films from the Golden Age (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Well said, GregK. I'm always impressed with the diligence of the 3-D Film Preservation Fund's research and the meticulous care they put into projection. A couple of years ago Jack Theakston posted on this forum a studio circular to exhibitors advising them on the correct aspect ratios and the "safe" aspect ratios for that studio's films. It was from 1953-54. The circular listed titles and the aspect ratios for each. Might have been Universal, but I don't recall, nor do I recall which thread Jack posted it in. It's here somewhere.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/314379/additional-3-d-films-from-the-golden-age#post_3854154
Well said, GregK. I'm always impressed with the diligence of the 3-D Film Preservation Fund's research and the meticulous care they put into projection. A couple of years ago Jack Theakston posted on this forum a studio circular to exhibitors advising them on the correct aspect ratios and the "safe" aspect ratios for that studio's films. It was from 1953-54. The circular listed titles and the aspect ratios for each. Might have been Universal, but I don't recall, nor do I recall which thread Jack posted it in. It's here somewhere.
The one I copied and saved was from Warners. It was great to see that films I've never seen correctly framed on disc like Calamity Jane had their stated aspect ratios there as plain as day. I wish those in charge of such things would refer to these notes when transferring the films to disc.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Could you retrieve that scan and post it here, Matt?
I'm just curious to see it.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you very much for the kind words. We're just trying to honor the intent of the craftsmen who made the films and have them look their very best. One point that is often overlooked is that the films were conceived and designed for 3-D. Watching them flat is not how they were meant to be seen. Hopefully the new HD Blu Ray format will allow these films to come back to life in true third-dimension.
4824fea9.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You'll note that films in production prior to WB going all widescreen in May, 1953 are designated 1.66. Paramount was the first to recommend and implement that ratio for catalog titles on March 24, 1953.
The important point to remember is that most studios were experimenting and planning for some form of non-anamorphic widescreen in March. After the first test showings of CinemaScope at 20th Century Fox on March 18 to nearly 1000 industry executives and theater owners, the widescreen race was on.
The common mis-conception is that widescreen exhibition began with the September premiere of THE ROBE.
It did not.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/314379/additional-3-d-films-from-the-golden-age#post_3854185
Thank you very much for the kind words. We're just trying to honor the intent of the craftsmen who made the films and have them look their very best. One point that is often overlooked is that the films were conceived and designed for 3-D. Watching them flat is not how they were meant to be seen. Hopefully the new HD Blu Ray format will allow these films to come back to life in true third-dimension.
4824fea9.jpg
Thanks for putting this back up for others to see, Bob. It's exactly what I was referring to.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Have you found a similar circular from one of the other studios, Bob?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, I have widescreen documentation from all the studios covering the 1953-1956 period.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If possible, I'd love to see any info you have on MGM films of this period. I find this information and this particular era in movie history absolutely fascinating.

hamiltonpl

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Hamilton
Bob - When it comes to vintage 3D movies - do the studios like Universal and Sony/Columbia have all the elements to produce these on BluRay:
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON
HOUSE OF WAX
SPOOKS (3 STOOGES)
PARDON MY BACKFIRE (3 STOOGES)
I would love to own these one 3D Bluray. The Stooges 3Ds have been offered on the Playstation Network - but only PARDON is available now and for a hefty price - $29.99!!
I would pay that for both SPOOKS and PARDON with commentaries etc.
I guess ultimately this is about money and not about pleasing fans. I get that. I just wish these were availalble - even in a Made on Demand model.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The original left/right elements to all four titles are in excellent shape. The only thing lost is the original 4 channel Warnerphonic stereo from HOUSE OF WAX.
Bob

hamiltonpl

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Hamilton
Bob Furmanek said:
The original left/right elements to all four titles are in excellent shape. The only thing lost is the original 4 channel Warnerphonic stereo from HOUSE OF WAX.
Bob
Bob - thanks for that.
Are the studios interested at all in releasing the older titles on 3D - or is it just too cost prohibitive to do so even in a Made on Demand scenario - hamiltonpl (aka Dracsback from the CHFB).

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
WB is proceeding with DIAL M and possibly WAX. So far as I know, the rest are taking a wait and see approach. If DIAL M does well, you can bet the others will start moving.
Bob

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/314379/additional-3-d-films-from-the-golden-age/30#post_3896341
WB is proceeding with DIAL M and possibly WAX.
that is the kind of news that makes my day even better!!!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I can't wait to see Dial M for Murder and House of Wax again in 3D. Warner, if you are listening, here is a guaranteed sale!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
WB is proceeding with DIAL M and possibly WAX. So far as I know, the rest are taking a wait and see approach. If DIAL M does well, you can bet the others will start moving.
Bob
If they do release WAX, do you think the sound will be mono, or maybe some sort of stereo sound with only the mono track and surround track available. The DVD was 2.0 stereo surround. I would think WAX would sell better than Dial M but AMAZON has Dial M ranked 8,883 vs. 20,483 sales for WAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks