What's new

3D Additional 3-D Films from the Golden Age (1 Viewer)

hamiltonpl

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Hamilton
RolandL said:
If they do release WAX, do you think the sound will be mono, or maybe some sort of stereo sound with only the mono track and surround track available. The DVD was 2.0 stereo surround. I would think WAX would sell better than Dial M but AMAZON has Dial M ranked 8,883 vs. 20,483 sales for WAX.
Well either way I'm in on both of these if they are releasing them in 3D.
Will they be MOD or not?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I honestly don't know anything more other than work is proceeding on Dial M.
I would wait to see what WB and George Feltenstein have to say on this one.
Bob

moviepas

Supporting Actor
As I understand it Columbia issued a number of 3-D shorts. I was told some decades there were prints in Melbourne/Australia(where I live) and that as no one seemed to want them anymore Columbia destroyed them insitu. In that period, a local independent moviehouse chain had a distribution arm called Filmways(not the US outfit) and cleared all extra prints they had of titles under distribution, keeping one of each. No 3-D in that lot, though.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Columbia filmed a trio of 3-D shorts: Spooks, Pardon my Backfire and Down the Hatch. Thanks to the great preservation efforts of Grover Crisp at Columbia, all three have been restored and preserved.
Bob

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Columbia filmed a trio of 3-D shorts: Spooks, Pardon my Backfire and Down the Hatch. Thanks to the great preservation efforts of Grover Crisp at Columbia, all three have been restored and preserved.
Bob
Pardon My Backfire and The Mad Magician are available on the PS3 PlaStation Store for download, but $29.99 each is too expensive for a download. I'll wait for the Blu-ray which hopefully will come with other extras for about the same price.

hamiltonpl

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Hamilton
It's strange that the PS network offers only PARDON and no SPOOKS. Yes, $29.99 is very steep.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Edward Weinman said:
...I did not see "Kiss Me Kate" in the above discussion...
If you mean the podcast interview with Feltenstein, Kate's mentioned as an example of the Golden Age, but nothing definite. Does Warner still own that MGM movie?
hamiltonpl said:
It's strange that the PS network offers only PARDON and no SPOOKS. Yes, $29.99 is very steep.
PSN had Pardon and Spooks, but no Hatch--At one point, both disappeared, and then just Pardon returned. I'm assuming rights problems, but...?
(And hopefully, with Disney selling "Tangled Ever After" for $4.99, Sony will finally learn the difference between selling a feature and selling a short for $29.99. :eek: )

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, KISS ME KATE is owned by Warner Bros.
The 3-D left/right elements and stereophonic sound all survive.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/314379/additional-3-d-films-from-the-golden-age/30#post_3920129
Just to be clear, the correct and intended aspect ratio for KATE is 1.75:1

MGM released a laserdisc of Kiss Me Kate at that aspect ratio (never in 3D, of course), but no DVD has ever presented it in that ratio. I would certainly love to see it properly framed and in 3D. One day, maybe.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
MattH. said:
MGM released a laserdisc of Kiss Me Kate at that aspect ratio (never in 3D, of course), but no DVD has ever presented it in that ratio. I would certainly love to see it properly framed and in 3D. One day, maybe. 
All MGM Laserdisc releases were 1.33:1, however Turner Classic Movies has aired it in widescreen.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I can't believe its been almost 10 years since the DVD of Kiss Me Kate was released. I remember the problem with the first transfer - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/kissmekate.htm
When it was filmed, 1:37 might have been the intended ratio for 3-D. The following is a post from Bob in 2003:
Regarding the "correct" aspect ratio, I submit the following information:
From Box Office magazine of May, 1953: (parapharasing) It was filmed with MGM's own 3D camera rig at a negative aspect ratio of 1.37; however, it would be available for playdates in 3D at full Academy ratio and could be matted for 2D "flat" playdates at any of *three* aspect ratios - 1.66, 1.75, or 1.85. So, the negative would be fully exposed and the theatres would soft-matte it to whichever ratio they preferred.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Even that new corrected transfer is zoomed in. The film was photographed open matte, full aperture and Technicolor optically centered the image for widescreen when they made the printing elements.
MGM had gone 100% widescreen with the ratio of 1.75:1 in early April and KMK began production one month later.

ronlw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Walker
I'm wondering if "GOG" will ever be released in 3D. I remember seeing it a long ago on a B&W TV in my youth. I never knew it was in color let alone 3D! For me, it was one of the more intelligent si-fi films of the 50's. I often wondered if "The Andromeda Strain" didn't benefit from some of the ideas presented in GOG. I've read where this film has been saved and new prints struck for theatrical revivals. Has anyone heard if there are any plans to bring it to 3D Blu-Ray?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I would very much like to restore and release GOG in 3-D Blu-ray. I'm the one who found the lost 35mm left print. No elements exist on that eye.
There are no prints available for theatrical revivals. The print screened at the 3-D Expo in 2003 and 2006 is the only left/right pair. It is deep in archival storage now.
Bob

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
oderator:

is it possible to re-instate the images and formatting into these studio-by-studio 3-D threads?

Some of the images are instructive, and it would be nearly impossible to recover all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks