What's new

Active vs. passive subwoofers? (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still sort of new to HT and was wondering what the difference was between active and passive subwoofer.
Are there different types of connections? Are you speakers connected to an active sub?
Ant info would help.
Thanks.
------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
-Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
A real simple way to define them
Active has an on-board amplifier (plate amp).
Passive needs to be amplified with out board amplification.
(You provide the amplifier)
Active subs have crossovers on them so you can route your mains through the amp and cross them over at a different frequency then what your receiver or pre/pro provides. It's not necessary though.
Jeremy

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I'll take a crack at this one.
Passive Sub: needs AMP
Active Sub : Built in AMP
Kevin

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
Active subs have crossovers on them so you can route your mains through the amp and cross them over at a different frequency then what your receiver or pre/pro provides. It's not necessary though.
Does this mean you route your mains through the amp of the subwoofer or your seperate amp/receiver?
confused.gif

Thanks.
------------------
Jake T
-Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Does this mean you route your mains through the amp of the subwoofer or your seperate amp/receiver?"
My explanation is not used very often, however, if your receiver does not have flexible bass management it is an option.
You would run the speaker wire from the main (out) on the receiver to the input on the sub....then from the output of the sub to the inputs on your mains. This will allow you to adjust the crossover on the sub to blend your mains.
Hope this answers your question. If you have the chance to look around at some B&Ms this weekend, check out the amp on the subs...you'll see what I mean
Jeremy

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeremy
icon14.gif

------------------
Jake T
-Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks