What's new

AC-300 feel/look cheap? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I ordered one through eBay. It arrived today. It was broken. It looked dirty. It has double rear ports, both of which had come loose and were knocking about inside the cabinet. Is this normal, or have I been had? It was described as NIB.

I attached the ports as they should be, and plugged in the speaker. But since hearing that unmistakable sound of damaged goods inside the box, I am temporarily insane and have no way of telling a good speaker from a bad one.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Thanks, Matthew.

Any AC-300 owners on the board tonight? If so, my main question is, when you first bought your speaker, were the rear ports permanently attached to the speaker, or were they movable? On this AC-300, the rear ports can be pulled out of the speaker. I found this to be weird...and it gave the speaker a cheap feel I am not accustomed to as a longtime Energy owner.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Robert, sorry to say but sounds like you've been had. I've had my Energy AC-300 for years and it would take some serious prying to get those ports loose. I'd bet the seller might have played around with it or it got SERIOUSLY damaged in shipping.

The AC-300 is one of the most highly rated centers out there for the price...so if you can get a new one you won't be dissapointed!

E

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Eric,

The funny thing is that the speaker sounds okay. I watched a couple of movies tonight, and could hear no defect. Maybe over time it is unhealthy to have loose ports, but in my very limited sound audition, I could not hear any sound degradation. I am still undecided on what to do, as the seller said he could send me a replacement, but I bought the speaker from an individual on eBay. I will not send him the speaker until he first refunds my money. I wouldn't feel right if he was paid and also had the speaker in his possession.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Erik the AC300 is a fantastic centre channel. I'd remove on of the drivers and take a peek inside to make sure everythings ok in there (i.e. no loose parts etc) if the ports are loose once you've pushed them back in place a little glue will fix that. All in all though as long as it seems to be working chances are its fine.

Robert-

I have had 2 AC-300's for the last few years. The ports have been solid from day one. They are great speakers!

Ron A.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Thanks for the additional replies. I got confirmation from my local Energy rep and from Energy (through e-mail) that the rear ports are indeed movable, and that the fact one of the ports arrived dislodged was not in itself a sign of a defective/broken speaker. I guess that is why after I made sure the ports were in place and hooked up the AC-300, it sounded pretty darn good and matches my C-5s most excellently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks