What's new

ABC out to ruin Millionaire again... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A year or so ago. ABC had great success with Millionaire. Then they got greedy and aired it almost nightly. Naturally, people got sick of it. Cut, to now. The show and Regis are back. And instead of playing it 1-2 a week. They are showing it at least 4 times a week. People are going to get sick of it sooner.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
It's only a 5 day thing and then it's gone unless ratings are good to bring it back again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The ratings are huge, so I'm sure we can expect to see it 4-5 times a year anyway.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Is it just me or has this show jumped the shark long ago.

I caught a little of each SM night this week and felt like I was watching a retrospect show on VH-1. Wth "too real" contestants and never ending lifelines, this thing is chewing up valuable primetime real estate. We have to miss "Line of Fire" for this?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If somehow you could get a wireless link to Google, you could make some easy money on Super Millionaire. For the tough questions, I was able to find the answers on Google within 10 seconds. I was surprised by the answers to some of the questions because I had no idea what they were, and guessing sure isn't my strong suit.

Is this show broadcast live, or is it taped?

Whoever was my lifeline had better be on a PC with a fast internet link!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Patrick!

I actually like this new version, I felt it was more compelling with the larger prize money potential. And they chose contestants well. I did feel that Regis is doing what Meredith Viera does on her daytime version of Millionaire, which is to fake out the contestant that they got it wrong when it was right. I like her take on the daytime show as host. Regis is good for the nighttime show.

If they do keep this show if it does well the rest of this week, I hope they don't over expose it again. It makes it more of an event. Though I was dissapointed it pre-empted Alias!:)

Nelson

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they could do Super Millionaire on a weekly basis because the prize payout might make it prohibitively expensive.

Mike Slade

Second Unit

Was it on more recently than it's original run? The original run was on when i was in college and I graduated in 2000.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
The first show was four and a half years ago, on August 16, 1999. I know that so well because my wife went into labor that day with our son, who was born just after midnight on the 17th. We ended up watching Millionaire that night.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Well, "Super Millionaire"'s ratings were good enough that the show will return this May. Personally, this is a good move by ABC because this time, I don't think they're going to make the same mistake they made before, and they better not. I'll be ticked if they do.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
the only way they can ruin it again is if they played it 4-5 times every week like they did last time. They should put it on once or twice a week. Thats it. Sunday and Thurs for Example

capt

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wasnt the last thing regis said at the end of the last show something like we'll be back in may.

it was hard to here him with the music blairing and drowning him out.

i'm pretty sure he said that to the contestent who was in the middle of his game.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tony-

I heard Regis say that the show will be back in May and that the contestant who was in the middle of the game will be also. That is only fair.

I also heard Regis say the show's back in May on Regis and Kelly. I hope it's not on Sunday night! It means Alias could be bumped, or they replace the Practice with it, which doesn't make sense, too late an hour maybe for a regualrly scheduled game show/family audience. So that leaves the 7:00pm or 8:00pm slot.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
ABC has to do something. They don't have one show this season in the top 30. They are doing miserably. If they can mild one hit show, they need to.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I just wish it hadnt come back. Are they that starved for TV shows that they have to go back and start bastardizing it again?
And the sad part is that this actually got better ratings in Alias' timeslot so that means that we get more and more and more of this.
Enough already.

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
They won't ruin it this time. They only have Super Millionaire during sweep period. So no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.