What's new

A Zither Question about The Third Man (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
This movie marks one of the few times where I had to have a movie after having watched it on tape. This remark is rather strange, of course, coming from probably the only HTF member that likes Armageddon.
My question about The Third Man is in regards to the film score: it's often been quoted (eg. Roger Ebert or Leonard Maltin) that the zither score "fits perfectly" with this movie?
HOW!?
Don't get me wrong, I love the zither score. The problem is, it just seems too damn corny and happy-go-lucky. When I first watched the movie, I thought it was going to be a comedy of sorts, and that either the Marx brothers or Charlie Chaplin were going to bust onto the screen, and hilarious antics would ensue.
For a movie with so much moral depravity and a dark atmosphere, the zither score seemed out of place.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I think the score works because it contrasts with the action on screen. Gives it kind of a surreal, off-kilter feel. I don't know, that's the best way I can explain it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks