What's new

A Study in Terror (1965)- coming 4/3/18 from Mill Creek (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Synopsis: Three of 19th Century England's most famous characters come together for the first time in this sumptuous, exciting mystery, as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson set out to bring down history's most notorious serial killer: Jack The Ripper!

When a suspicious package arrives at the master sleuth's Baker Street home, he and his old friend must join the hunt before more murders are committed... even though the trail may lead to places they'd rather not go. John Neville is one of the most authentic Holmes portrayers ever, and he's ably supported by Donald Houston as Watson, as well as such British acting royalty as Anthony Quayle, Robert Morley, Frank Finlay, Barbara Windsor, Cecil Parker and, in one of her earliest screen roles, Academy Award winner Dame Judi Dench (1998, Best Supporting Actress, Shakespeare in Love).

198257_large.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very enjoyable Sherlock Holmes thriller. Interesting to compare this to Murder by Decree since both pit Holmes against Jack the Ripper. This one has less production value, but the performances are just as strong as in the Bob Clark film. Recommended!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This has already received a decent Blu-ray release (Region B). How about giving us MURDER BY DECREE, which is just about the last major Holmes film not yet released in the format? (This was an Avco-Embassy release in the U.S., and I've no idea who holds the rights now).

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
This has already received a decent Blu-ray release. How about giving us MURDER BY DECREE, which is just about the last major Holmes film not yet released in the format? (This was an Avco-Embassy release in the U.S., and I've no idea who holds the rights now).

Eek...it sounds very confusing!

According to wikipedia:

Home entertainment rights (DVD, Blu-ray) were previously divided among Image Entertainment, The Criterion Collection, and Anchor Bay Entertainment, via separate output deals. Currently, the majority of the best-known Embassy titles are controlled by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer due to previous VHS or DVD releases through their inheritance of PolyGram's film library, with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment handling distribution for MGM. Any other remaining titles are handled by Lionsgate Home Entertainment, due their longtime relationship with StudioCanal over their Carolco library.

The latest DVD was Lionsgate, if that means anything. I'd love a good blu-ray of DECREE. I have it on DVD but must confess I haven't watched in quite awhile.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have the Blu ray import of A Study in Terror and since this is Mill Creek, I set my standards to low. I know Sony has given it an HD master but Mill Creek still manages to release their blu rays as cheaply made as possible.

Murder by Decree as well as the Peter Ustinov Poirot's are all with Lionsgate

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have the Blu ray import of A Study in Terror and since this is Mill Creek, I set my standards to low. I know Sony has given it an HD master but Mill Creek still manages to release their blu rays as cheaply made as possible.

I will say, to Mill Creek's credit, that they have the best Blu-ray of Lady From Shanghai from Sony's master. TCM licensed it out initially for BD and released one version, quietly recalled it due to a bunch of errors, and then reissued a second version that had a different set of errors. By contrast, the Mill Creek one was correct on the first try and substantially cheaper.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Indicator one seems to be the best of the bunch :) I did some research and think the Indicator will be my choice for Lady from Shanghai

Ill wait for reviews of A Study in Terror

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anybody viewed this BD release? I've never seen this movie so I'm thinking of buying it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There are only two reviews of the blu ray on Amazon. One liked the movie very much and closed his review with:
Despite their reputation on either titles Mill Creek has delivered a very clean image and sound.

And it's $9 right now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have my copy, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I just rewatched my DVD a few weeks ago, so I'm not quite in the mood to see it again so quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks