What's new

A SNEAK PEEK AT MELVIN AND HOWARD, STAGECOACH, etc. (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ken, would you say the Tender is the Night transfer is on a par with past Fox transfers, you know, the ones that are always too blue - excluding The King and I, just for the sake of not having that one muddy the waters.
As I posted elsewhere, the teal-push fanatics will have difficulty complaining about Tender Is The Night. It's possible the transfer needs a tad more blue, particularly in some of the interior scenes where Leon Shamroy's lighting is masterly. I don't know the film well enough to judge confidently.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As I posted elsewhere, the teal-push fanatics will have difficulty complaining about Tender Is The Night. It's possible the transfer needs a tad more blue, particularly in some of the interior scenes where Leon Shamroy's lighting is masterly. I don't know the film well enough to judge confidently.

I agree the transfer is quite handsome. My only problem with it and it's a minor one is that in some (not all) sequences, the music tends to be unnaturally louder in comparison to the dialog. Never having seen the film during its original theatrical run, I have no idea if its inherent in the original sound mix or the way the blu ray sound source was handled. Or maybe my hearing is just screwed up :)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Ken, would you say the Tender is the Night transfer is on a par with past Fox transfers, you know, the ones that are always too blue - excluding The King and I, just for the sake of not having that one muddy the waters.
I need to look at the Blu Ray again. I'm in London currently and when I return I will check. In retrospect all the colors in Tender is the NIght seemed vibrant with TCITF looking a bit washed out..

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

I suspect it's not a new transfer, hence is closer to the DVD look.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The cover says restored. It definitely looks it. I never seen Tender is the Night letterboxed.
It will play on a region A player.
TCITF looks identical to the widescreen version I purchased years ago on iTunes. The sound, however, is much better on the Blu Ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I agree the transfer is quite handsome. My only problem with it and it's a minor one is that in some (not all) sequences, the music tends to be unnaturally louder in comparison to the dialog. Never having seen the film during its original theatrical run, I have no idea if its inherent in the original sound mix or the way the blu ray sound source was handled. Or maybe my hearing is just screwed up :)

Unless my hearing has deteriorated in exactly the same way as yours - pretty unlikely! :) - the music is not too loud. It's more that the dialog in places is too quiet. On this disc the dynamic range - the span between the quietest and the loudest moments - of the dialog is wide. Even in scenes with no music, voices sometimes are difficult to understand.

At the beginning of the big "reveal" scene, when Jennifer Jones is slumped on the floor her voice is hushed while Jason Robards is easy to understand and Bernard Hermann's contribution is very quiet. As he offers her the glass, the music become louder and more urgent, but their voices are raised and easy to hear so the music does not impede the dialog. (As I have never been a fan of Jennifer Jones, duty compels me to say she does really well in this scene)

I've watched this disc three times in ten days. I'm fascinated by how this film is so much better than I thought it was.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As I have never been a fan of Jennifer Jones, duty compels me to say she does really well in this scene. I've watched this disc three times in ten days. I'm fascinated by how this film is so much better than I thought it was.

Well, I adore Jennifer Jones but alas, she's about 10 years too late for the part. While still a beauty, she's rather matronly at this stage of her career, something the Nicole of the book is not. If it had been filmed in 1952, she would have killed it. Not saying she's not good in the part, she is but she's just too old for it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Well, I adore Jennifer Jones but alas, she's about 10 years too late for the part. While still a beauty, she's rather matronly at this stage of her career, something the Nicole of the book is not. If it had been filmed in 1952, she would have killed it. Not saying she's not good in the part, she is but she's just too old for it.
All the actors skew too old, good as they are.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
What does everyone think of MELVIN & HOWARD?

I am watching it and early on, when Hughes is found, it’s dark, and on the right side of the picture is a black blob. Is that just my TV? Or is the picture of the disc kinda hazy?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That's a problem with several films of the 1950s. The established stars still had loyal followings who could guarantee big box-office takings, and so they were given leading roles which ideally should have been played by someone much younger. It is of course much easier to make a twenty-year-old look forty than to make a forty-year-old look twenty.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Kevin Collins submitted a new blog post

A SNEAK PEEK AT MELVIN AND HOWARD, STAGECOACH, etc.
three-coins-in-the-fountain-3.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Um, can someone explain this to me? I made my usual post, and now some guy named Kevin Collins makes it a review? What IS this? Can someone help and contact Kevin and have him put it back the way it was? I've reported it but it really needs to be fixed and would be nice to know how such things could even happen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Um, can someone explain this to me? I made my usual post, and now some guy named Kevin Collins makes it a review? What IS this? Can someone help and contact Kevin and have him put it back the way it was? I've reported it but it really needs to be fixed and would be nice to know how such things could even happen.
Kevin Collins is a co-owner of HTF and I have contacted him about this issue.

greg.shoemaker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gregory Shoemaker
Just a thought about THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN—Wouldn't the movie have made a great three-panel Cinerama film? It has all of the trappings of the 50s Cinerama travelogues: great scenery, musical moments, a brakeless truck running amok with one of the stars in peril, and a simple story, occasionally told with humor, about looking for love. Also, the wide 2.55:1 aspect ratio as well got me to postulating about this possibility.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
That's a problem with several films of the 1950s. The established stars still had loyal followings who could guarantee big box-office takings, and so they were given leading roles which ideally should have been played by someone much younger.

Agree. My pet peeve in this regard is William Holden in Picnic.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Bruce. It was an unintended consequence of featuring this post on the front page which is based on Word Press. Kevin takes a popular thread every few days and features it on the home page. That process is supposed to link the thread with the front end and keep them in sync so replies to either location are visible in both. It looks like a side effect of that was over writing your first post with a link back to Word Press. Since Kevin was the one who featured it, it associated it with his name. I manually edited your original post in this thread with your original text, but I left the art from the blog in. I can remove it if you want. I'll engage Kevin and Dave and see if there is a process we can use going forward that keeps the original post intact.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Bruce. It was an unintended consequence of featuring this post on the front page which is based on Word Press. Kevin takes a popular thread every few days and features it on the home page. That process is supposed to link the thread with the front end and keep them in sync so replies to either location are visible in both. It looks like a side effect of that was over writing your first post with a link back to Word Press. Since Kevin was the one who featured it, it associated it with his name. I manually edited your original post in this thread with your original text, but I left the art from the blog in. I can remove it if you want. I'll engage Kevin and Dave and see if there is a process we can use going forward that keeps the original post intact.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

No worries. :) And many thanks for fixing it and I hope you can fix whatever the problem is because what you're trying to do is a good idea. Word Press, since the last insane update, is really wacko and I'm still getting used to it - barely.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
My 3 Coins has just arrived and I must say from a quick wiz through, am very happy with the transfer.
Couldn't see any"teal push" but a very nice colour balance .
Sure its softer compared, say with the Bravados which also came, but that's four or so years later filmed on a better Eastman stock.
Considering it's early Scope nice and sharp too.
Overall very pleasing and with a lovely stereo track.
Oh,fun to see Senator Gallo's villa from the Robe hosting a modern "orgy".
It appears Jay Robinson wasn't invited!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks